Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 14T vs. 16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wondering if anyone can compare a Hobie 14T vs. a 16 as far as ease for single sailor, performance, ability to carry more people.

I used to have a 16, now have a Wave (which I love) but wondering if I would have fun if I added a 14T to my fleet (which now is the Wave). Or whether the 14T is a closer match to the Wave than the 16... my thought is that the asymmetrical hull design may provide more performance for those days when I need a little more jammin' fun, especially with passengers. But I truly am clueless.

I did try to search for this but could not find any matches, so I apologize if I am asking something that has been answered before.

Thanks!

NetraLee
Bitty Kitty,
'09 Club Wave

Post subject: Re: 14T vs. 16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi!
I don't consider a H14T a passenger boat. A H14T is a lot of fun with 1 person and is a thrill to sail... Maybe if your taking out a small child.

I would think that you would use your Wave as the passenger boat and if you want a H14T you would use it for more spirited sailing by yourself.

That's just my 5 cents worth. :-)

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, the 14 really does not like more than one person. Yes it can support two people for putzing around on a calm day, but for performance sailng, the leeward hull will be submerged with two on board. The 14 is a bit quicker than the Wave in a breeze because its larger, has more sail, and has a trapeze. The Wave is a lot less prone to pitchpoling and a more forgiving design all around. Personally, if you're looking to have two boats, I would suggest the 16 and then either the 14 or the Wave. Having a 14 and a Wave would be a bit redundant.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This was what I was wondering, and what I thought - that the 14T & the Wave would be much more closely aligned.

I thank you all for your responses... very helpful to making a decision!

NetraLee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife bought me a used H14T in 2007 for my 57th birthday since I was a little afraid that a H16 would be too much for me. Although I sailed many Hobie Waves before, I soon felt that the H14T was too weight sensitive (as compared to the Wave or H16). I really noticed this if I had a passenger or when tacking while solo in a good wind (I felt like the boat was going to do a reverse pitchpole when the transoms would go under).

After several months of good experience with the H14T, I realized that I could handle a H16 and enjoy it more. A few months later I sold the H14T and bought a H16.

The main selling point I liked about the H14T, was that I could leave my shrouds hooked to the boat and still get the trailer/boat/mast in my garage. The mast on a H16 is too tall to fit in my garage while it is still on the trailer. As a result, it takes more time to strap the shrouds/halyard/forestay to the mast and then separately carry it into the garage to place it along the inside back wall, before pushing the trailer in.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Mon May 17, 2021 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad you found the boat for you.
Unfortunately, no one likes me, so I sail solo. Husband is at the lake 2x per year; once to put the boat in, once to take her back out.
And I'm quite capable of dumping my BittyKitty without help, so I think I'll stay where I am for now. Besides, the pole shed is getting full.

Hobie folks are the best - and I'm really not that bad, but I do sail solo. Boys are intimidated, girls are catty (pardon the pun).

Gotta go - last week's cool weather reminded me how short time is... and this week is southerly winds, 88-90 degree temps. Lovin' it.
NetraLee