Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All
Intro, I learned to sail on a Hobie 16 and then sailed other small beach cats for a couple years. But then I got into big boats. My last Hobie sail was in the mid 1980s. I never sailed the 18.
I'll generally be sailing solo but my wife will join me maybe 25% of the time. Our combined weigh is 310lbs. I don't plan to race.
I like the 18s dagger boards for better pointing but then I like the 16 because its dirt simple.

Any suggestions for a new(hobie)/old sailor?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first suggestion would be to consider the Wave and Getaway in your thinking

I've owned a 16 & 18 and sailed a Wave about a half dozen times. They are all great boats.

16 - Great all around boat but prone to wet rides and capsizes rather easily. Fairly easy to single hand but the lack of crew weight limits the amount of wind you can easily sail in. A jib furler is a big help for a single hander. Solo righting can be difficult.

18 - If you can find one in good shape they are a great fun boat. Much more stable than the 16. Wings are huge plus. Negative - A bit of a handful for single handed sailing and hard to set up alone if you plan to trailer sail. They haven't been made in quite a while so finding a good one takes a lot of looking.

Wave - Super easy and fun to sail, sets up in minutes, soloing is no problem. Easily carries 3 adults.

I'm not an expert on the Getaway. I've seen many of them, but never had the opportunity to sail on or set it up. They appear to be a hybrid between the 18 w/wings and the wave. Looks fairly easy to single hand and setup/rigging is less complicated than the 16. They have a tremendous weight capacity and major comfort features (huge tramp, cooler, wing seats). If you have a place to keep the boat mast up this might be a great choice too.

Wife's attitude for adventure might play a role here. If she's risk averse and likes a comfortable cruise the wave or getaway are ideal. If she like excitement, enjoys hanging from a trapeze, and does not have problem going swimming once in awhile the 16 is a blast.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey GD_NC,
Thanks for the info! I should have mentioned price is a factor also. I'm looking at used boats in the $1000-$2500 range. Only the 14,16 and 18 turn up on cragslist in that price range locally. I think I'll probably go the 16 route since most sailing will probably be solo:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After sailing an H16 for years, I crewed a race for a guy with an 18 a couple weeks back. Prior to that, I had always kinda wanted to upgrade to an 18. Putting more than 2 people on a 16 is kind of a non-starter, and while I don't want to go 4-up very often, it is a good capability to have when you want to share your love of sailing with people in from out of town or whatever. After crewing that 18, I no longer see the 18 as my "next step." My primary complaint is that the trampoline area is very "busy" compared to the 16. The jib travelers (a nigh to useless adjustment as far as I can tell, given where/how they're mounted) and associated blocks are in prime "banging-your-knees/shins-into-them" position, and the issue of "tramp spaghetti" seemed WAY worse on the 18 than on the 16, although that could just be the fact that it's different, and I wasn't used to it like I am used to the 16. My secondary, somewhat related, complaint would be that it was a pain to handle on the downwind leg. Because the jib trim rigging is in such an odd (to us, anyway) place/orientation, the crew essentially has to perch way up at the front of the wing and hold the jib clew in his hand when trying to go dead down. It's not something I'd bother doing if I were sailing purely recreationally, but it sorta reinforces my belief that the jib trim rigging is not the greatest on the 18. The wings are super nice to have. It was a fast boat, and felt considerably more "stable" (for lack of a better word) than my H16, but if I were going to get something bigger than my 16, I'd look for a 21SE I think.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello ipmcc,
Thanks for that review of the two. I've decided to get a 16 and have been looking at a few in my area.
I finally decided simplicity trumps for me. Might finally pull the trigger tomorrow :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SailorJon - The combined weight of both you and your wife (310lbs.) isn't that heavy.
Daggerboards....pointing??? You don't plan on racing, so it's not important. The H16 ,with it's assymetrical hulls, points high enough.
The H16 with it's raised trampoline should help to keep you sailing drier.
It's definitely simpler, especially for sailing solo.
Availability...There should be more H16's available and that should help keep the price for a used boat down.
The fiberglass catamarans are supposed to be lighter and faster than the plastic boats. It should be more exciting and I guess that's why you're returning to the smaller beachcats.
I don't think these boats capsize - WE DO! We sometimes push the limits, lose concentration and screw up, use poor judgement and go out sailing under conditions that are beyond our capabilities. It's NEVER the boat's fault. I take fewer risks when I sail with kids, my wife, and adults who don't want to capsize.
Good luck and let us know what you wind up buying. Post some pictures if you're able to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ipmcc wrote:
After sailing an H16 for years, I crewed a race for a guy with an 18 a couple weeks back. Prior to that, I had always kinda wanted to upgrade to an 18. Putting more than 2 people on a 16 is kind of a non-starter, and while I don't want to go 4-up very often, it is a good capability to have when you want to share your love of sailing with people in from out of town or whatever. After crewing that 18, I no longer see the 18 as my "next step." My primary complaint is that the trampoline area is very "busy" compared to the 16. The jib travelers (a nigh to useless adjustment as far as I can tell, given where/how they're mounted) and associated blocks are in prime "banging-your-knees/shins-into-them" position, and the issue of "tramp spaghetti" seemed WAY worse on the 18 than on the 16, although that could just be the fact that it's different, and I wasn't used to it like I am used to the 16. My secondary, somewhat related, complaint would be that it was a pain to handle on the downwind leg. Because the jib trim rigging is in such an odd (to us, anyway) place/orientation, the crew essentially has to perch way up at the front of the wing and hold the jib clew in his hand when trying to go dead down. It's not something I'd bother doing if I were sailing purely recreationally, but it sorta reinforces my belief that the jib trim rigging is not the greatest on the 18. The wings are super nice to have. It was a fast boat, and felt considerably more "stable" (for lack of a better word) than my H16, but if I were going to get something bigger than my 16, I'd look for a 21SE I think.

Sailing dead downwind is not the way to go on a H16 or H18 (or to my knowledge, any cat). You need the wind to blow over both sides of the sails in order to generate lift. If you want to optimize downwind speed, you need to tack somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 degrees apparent wind. I personally feel the jib system on the H18 is easier to manage than the jib system on the H16. That said, I agree the H18 tramp can get messy, especially when you're sailing with more than one crew.

As for the notion the H18 is "more complicated" or more of a handful on the water than the H16, I disagree. Yes, the 18 has daggerboards which you have to raise/lower as you approach/leave the shore, but this is hardly complicated (and I solo my 18 most of the time). And on the flip side, the H18 is an easier boat to tack. Assuming you have half-way decent wind, the H18 skipper really has to screw up to get his boat stuck in irons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've owned both a 16 and 18 before I switched to a keel boat. Sold the keel boat and am looking to get back into the 16 again. While the 18 is faster and has more room it is hard to set up and move around the beach single hand. I am a good sized guy and I need help with stepping the mast. Moving it around the beach on cat trax was possible but difficult in soft sand. Since I will be sailing solo 90% of the time the 16 wins hands down. Unless I can find mast up storage on the water...

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have sailed both
The 16 is the way to go
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all

Reading through many posts an opinions. This seems to be a common question, here we go again.

What about the 17? I like the hull design, centerboards that kick up, made for solo. I plan to sail solo, most of the time, and bring two boys 11-12 maybe 25% of the time. Wife is reluctant, so maybe now and again there will be four of us on the boat.

I had a standard 14 and really liked it, but I want more bouyancy. I found I plowed the 14 leeward hull under water too easily, in medium wind. I was simple to launch, can right it solo quite easily. Contemplating the 16, but it just seems to me the 17 with wings would be more comfy, less pitchpole prone. 17 is only a bit heavier than 16, but lighter than 18.

So, please help. I have my eye on a 17 with the jib, and wings.
To me this sounds like the perfect boat, if:
I can step the mast alone, solo sail and right. Wings are nice, boys can come too but it will be wetter. At least we are sitting on wings, so our feet get wet as opposed to getting the bum wash sitting on tramp. Is it simple to set up, like 16, or the same, in other words not an issue.
Then on occasion wife joins in, we have to just slow down, feet even wetter than before, but it can cope.

my feeling is i can't buy an 18 just because i need to be able to carry four people 2 times a summer.
I should get the boat that will be suited to the other 20 days a summer, me solo or a boy or two.

What do you think? 16, 17, 18? ( Limited budget, no t2 or getaway)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Myoffroadhobie wrote:
I plan to sail solo, most of the time, and bring two boys 11-12 maybe 25% of the time. Wife is reluctant, so maybe now and again there will be four of us on the boat.

4 people on H17 is definitely too much. H17 is ideal for 1 or 2 light people, maybe 2 light adults and a kid. In your case H16 could be best compromise.

Best of luck :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've sailed 14s and 16s and I like my Getaway better than either of the others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My getaway single-hands nicely. With 4 on board there's room to spare. However, I looked for months until I finally found one on Craigslist for $3500 with trailer. I've really enjoyed the boat.

tmrock