Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planning to mount 2 downriggers on my 2012 PA14, and I would like to get some feedback from you guys that use downriggers. I have tried a compact rigger that I borrowed, but I also have 2 full sized Big Jon units that I am thinking of installing instead. The small downrigger works fine, but the Big Jons are easier to use. I am thinking of installing the Big Jons at the front of the mounting boards on a piece of aluminum? that goes across the front of the PA. The Big Jons have rod holders built in. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What are you fishing for, and how deep? Here on Lk Michigan, I frequently troll for chinook salmon and lake trout and have occasionally gotten turned around or dragged along on a nice sleigh ride. For me, it is complicated enough keeping 2 trolling lines from tangling when I get a feisty 20+ lb salmon on. My one attempt with running just 1 manual downrigger at 80 ft was a miserable disaster without even getting a fish on, due to tangling on turns and drifts. I am sure 2 riggers can be done, but it would sure make a lot of work out of a nice day on the water, and I am not sure it would significanty improve yield over what I can do with torpedo divers or lead core. Interesting proposal though, and I look forward to hearing from others with more downrigger experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MWD....I am in Jim_MI's camp on two down riggers on a PA-14.....I have a Canon Mini-Troll on my 2013 PA-14 and caught two nice German Browns last week while down rigging at 30' and 50'.....a 21" fat fish does move the PA around.
Depending on where the fish decides to go and while reeling in the fish, if you need to rewind cable, a single down rigger is plenty to deal with.
In my minds eye, with two down riggers I see a "Chinese Fire Drill" in progress.... :o

Then there is the question of location and "bridging across the cockpit" with an aluminum plate......I assume it can't be too wide, otherwise the mirage drive pedals might hit it.

For me, I know reaching the Big Johns down rigger where you are thinking would be an issue....all the way forward means getting on your prayer bones to do anything....just my thoughts.
It's good you are asking very good questions before taking the installation plunge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MWD I am also looking into downriggers. I went Salmon trolling last year with leadcore line. I had to let out nearly 200 feet to get down to the fish. I had a boat that even tho I waved him off cut behind me about 50 yrds back and the tow was on. He towed me sidways for 15 minutes and never turned aroud or heard me yelling at him Honestly one of the scarriest thing that has ever happened to me in a Yak. It was all I could do to keep the yak from tipping finally reached my knife and cut the line. I now always keep cutters close and if I get riggers I will have cable cutters near. I would go with the riggers just make sure you can reach them easily and have cutters close if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would stay with the compact downrigger. I have fished two lines off one downrigger. Put them about six feet apart and let them down slowly so the line won't tangle. Two downriggers less than four feet apart, sounds like a headache to me. I fish pyramid lake out side of Reno, Nv. and I don't use my downrigger any deeper than sixty feet or so. Good luck. Rickashay52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input guys. I hadn't really thought about the potential for a Chinese fire drill but I know it is there! I will be using it for Inland Trout ( and an occasional trip to the Great Lakes), Walleye, Pike , and Musky. Most of the time I will be working the 20" to 25" range, Probably not any deeper than 30". I will just install 1 for sure, the verdict is still out on which one.
Tight Lines
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would agree two down riggers can be a big mess. I will post my kayak on 8-12, I have mounted a Scotty 1049 electric down rigger with a HDS 7 Gen2. Works great, battery was the big challenge. Battery is a 30amp/hour mounted in the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rickashay - just curious on how you have 2 lines clipped to one downrigger. Are you fishing both lines + downrigger on the same side of the PA, or are you lowering the ball 10 ft or so and then reaching one line around the bow to the opposite side and fishing one line port and one starboard? Where do you have your downrigger mounted relative to the fishing lines? If you get a fish on one, do you try to pull in the other line to prevent tangling? Nice idea, just not sure how to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like/use these Scotty self locating down rigger clips......http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equi ... p-plus.htm
Models 1171, 72, 73 & 78
You can add one of these clips at whatever separation from the lower clip nearest the lead weight.......easy to fish at two depths using one down rigger.....works great!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So DocSteel - same question then ... with 2 stacked lines on one downrigger cable, what is the arrangment of your rods and downrigger in the PA? And do you try to pull the dormant line and rigger cable when you get a big fish on?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not used two lines on a single down rigger in my PA-14 nor do I plan to....... :wink: but if I did, I would leave the other line still attached to the down rigger and pray the fish does not get tangled up.....it's just not possible to reel in the other rod and down rigger w/o losing the fish or have a huge mess on your hands.

I have used the two lines-single down rigger set up on my old Jetcraft, when my son was along....no problem with two anglers handling the rigs and rarely get tangled up.....it works well.

Today I was lake fishing, down rigged to 30 feet, trailing a spinner another 25 feet behind the clip and hooked into a 9# 4 oz trout.......I left the down rigger alone and was able to net the fish....part of my success is I like to use a 8' 6" Lamiglas rod, model G-1342T with 17 pound test line......the rod is long enough to guide the fish ( as much as I can) around the PA to net it.
This is today's catch....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice catch, Doc. How have you mounted the Cannon Mini Troll to your PA? I thouht that those only came with a clamp-on mount, more appropriate for attaching vertically to the gunwale of a typical small aluminum boat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am very fond of Scotty equipment....strong and reliable......I used the Scotty surface mounts for the down rigger and power lock rod holders.
The down rigger is clamped to a Scotty "replacement" rod holder post...about $13....or if you buy the regular power lock rod holder, it comes with the same post.
In these photos, you can see a small block of wood used as a spacer, on the post that the mini-troll clamps on to.
The white line is a safety leash I snap on to the forward bulkhead pad eye I added (make sure you use fender washers under the locking nuts)......my mirage drive leash snaps to the same fitting.
I use a 2.5# lead weight to down rig.....it has been adequate for fishing up to 80' deep so far.
Hope this helps!