Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Took my pa14 to a local lake for subject. Nice controlled conditions, calm, safe.

Climbing back is easy. Just like what hobie shows in their videos, climbed across, into the middle of yak, face down, pull up, turn around. Ez. Repeat till confident.

Took a while to get her flipped. Used 6 foot rope I have attached to lh handle. With feet against the right side of hull, body away, got some rhythm going and was able to flip her.

Righting, using the same rope is so easy it isn't funny. Same technique, feet against the boat, rope over the hull to the other side, body away, simple tug gets her righted with zero effort.

Good to have the confidence and I think everyone should practice it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome. We highly advise this and other handling practice, so when you need it...!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a concern of mine with the PA14. I weigh 135 with my pockets full of water...

Sent from the dam phone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hmm... i need to roll my PA12 to my pool again...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put the Mariner in the pool and stood and balanced it on it's side at probably a 45* angle a few seconds and it plopped back down. Can flip it back upright with little trouble. How do the PAs compare?

Sent from the dam phone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you try flipping it back over without the rope? For those that don't have a rope attached to their PA you may want to do this ASAP because I have a super tough time without it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am 5'10" and 240# and I have a rough time trying to flip it over. I dive off it, have others dive off. I have leaned over and fell out but the PA has never totally flipped over in the water. It takes a lot to do it. I can only see a rogue wave and I am leaning in the same direction. I know you have to stand on one rail and grab the other and rock this baby to get it to turtle. But I guess you should practice it. Mine is 2012 14. And it is by far the best fishing aircraft carrier :lol: , oops fishing platform out there. imo :D

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The PA14 will flip in breaking surf. Been there, done that, several times. It happens if you cannot keep stern into the waves and you begin to yaw sideways. Some have advocated coming in stern first to avoid this situation. For me this has occurred close enough to shore that I can ride in with the overturned PA and then flip it over when shallow enough to stand. I have practiced the rope trick for emergency use in deeper water and now keep an appropriately-sized length of rope permanently tied to the starboard rail. I have a foot-width-sized length of PVC tied inside a loop at the other end of rope to use as a stirup. The rest of the rope is stuffed inside the PVC tube which is kept tucked into the webbed pocket. Wouldn't have worked this out without doing the self-rescue drills.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, you have to tie that rope to the handle, so she's always there. I tied a section of a pool noodle, in bright color, to the other end of it, so I know it will float and I can locate it easily.