Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm going on a two week vacation to visit family. My brother's in-laws have a place in Laconia NH that we'll be at for 3 days (Aug 7-9th) so I'm taking my 16 with me. He said I will be able to launch her in Meredith but all he knows about sailboats is: they have a sail.
I'm hoping to find someone here that can give me info on the area. Is there a good place to rig and launch a Hobie? Are there any places to pull up and beach to take a break? Or anything else you think I should know.
They do have a power boat so I won't be alone on the water and we will be able to swap out people without going to shore. I'd really like to open their minds and show them how much fun Hobie sailing is.
Any added info will be greatly appreciated

Buxton

(Also put this on open forum.)

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've sailed Winnepesaukee. I put my boat in at Ellacoya State Park in Gilford. (Go in the RV entrance.) Sucks as a launch for big motor boats but perfect for a Hobie. Sandy beach, plenty of vertical room, plenty of parking, and all for only $10. Puts you right out into the Broads and nothing to worry about in getting there.

I've never launched from Meredith, but it's fairly sheltered in northerly breezes. It's on a bay, so you have to do some tacking to get into the lake.

Winnepesaukee can be a choppy mess. The motor boaters tend to be nervous of heading off shore and want to cut between you and the shore, even if room is tight. The MV Washington is the only big boat on the lake and goes so sedately it's easy to deal with. The Marine Patrol uses VHF radio, if you half one.

Laconia has an airport and is your best source for weather. Add about 5 - 10 miles onto its wind force. Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford is a Hobie dealership. Talk to Dave in the store and you'll find out anything you want to know about the lake.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow Jim, that all sounds great, I just looked at the map and that's a nice and close launch for me, you've just made the trip better for me already. Thanks too much for the info!
I've sailed in a lot of chop on Erie so I'm not too worried about that and being weekdays that we'll be sailing it may not be too bad.
And to have a Hobie dealer right there, I will for sure stop in and talk to Dave

Thanks Again!

Buxton

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jim,
I had a blast and thanks for the recommendation, as Meredith would not have worked at all. I was able to make a pre-run up to see the place and talk with Dave at Fay's, very nice guy.
First day out wind forecast was for 10mph 1' waves and was just right for getting my brothers kids, 8-7 & 5 accustom to what Hobie sailing is all about and they all loved flying a hull. We had their power boat so I never had to go back to shore and when kids were done, my younger brother and I finished out the day together for a total of 6 1/2 hrs on the water. 2 days later my older brother and I went out with 25mph forecast, gusts to 30 and 2-4 foot waves, I was able to give him 2 hrs of some real fun, flying hulls and braking waves. I still have a big smile on my face.
I'll gladly make the 13hr drive back again, as Winnipesaukee is a great lake to have fun on.

Thanks again!

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Glad it went so well for you. Winnepesaukee is a great lake for a cat, with enough room to get in some long runs, or decide you want to go island hopping. And Ellacoya is one of the best boat ramps for cats I've ever seen.

Maybe you can make it up there next summer.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe