Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is one Camera on my Christmas List:

http://store.driftinnovation.com/cameras/drift-hd-ghost

This baby not only has a remote control but also a "Flashback" feature that records that great wave you just went through without the hours of boring no action video...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have one. Spent a year with the Drift Stealth and bought this one as soon as it came out.

The remote is much improved. The on-off beep can be heard clearly now. No guessing as to whether it's on or off. You can take photos while you're shooting a movie, no interruption involved. It is wi-fi enabled, but you don't need it. I haven't bothered with it. The remote will transmit a good 35 feet on its own, maybe more.

It's smaller than the Stealth by a good bit. Standby battery life is 4 to 6 hours. Good external microphone.

More features that are almost too numerous and I don't use them anyway. But the upside is that it's pretty darn simple to use. LCD screen on the back and a color coded light on the front so you can tell at a glance what mode you're in and if you're active or not. Plus, the remote has the same lighted color indicator. You don't need to be anywhere near the camera to know what it's doing or to change modes.

This was taken on the Ghost in just 720 mode and further reduced for Youtube use. I can show it on a 42 inch big screen and it's very crisp. I rarely shoot in 1080, but it has that option if you need it. Plus two different wide screen angles you can choose from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sybw680_RKE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom nice video - good quality even at youtube 480. Did Tommy enjoy his bath ? :lol:
I have been looking for another camera to compliment my gopro - I love the quality from the gopro but it has issues such as fogging (yes I use the antifog strips but they are inconvenient and costly) more importantly their pro-tune software is very buggy and causes my HeroHD2 to freeze in the record mode and the only way fix it is to remove the camera from the case and then remove the battery - Gopro are very slow to fix this issue and it is widely complained about.
Recently I tried this camera from Costco http://www.costco.com/JVC-GC-XA1-ADIXXI ... 36851.html
It never made it to my TI - I did a test video at home and immediately took it back due to the poor quality of the video and a faulty record button. A shame because it looked like a good product and I already have a JVC (not weatherproof) that is good quality.

You and Dogslife have got me interested in the drift now ........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Being a miser, my Drift is the HD720, and I am delighted with it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I should mention that the Ghost is supposedly submersible to a depth of 9 feet without any additional housing (a fully submersible housing is available as an option). I haven't submersed mine nor do I plan to do so if I'm lucky, but I have had it out in the rain and it's been thoroughly splashed in the AI and TI a few times. No problems to report.

Last edited by Tom Kirkman on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have ordered one ! I'll let the forum know my thoughts compared to the GoPro Hero2

Tom I meant to say did "Sammy" enjoy the bath as he was getting doused in front (not "Tommy" ) :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can tell you this about Sammy's "bath" - he was the last of my fishing buds to finally take a ride in the TI. He put it off with various excuses for almost a year. No interest in sailing. No interest in "that kind of boat." So what you see in that video was him taking his first trip in the TI, after I got him out on the pretense of it being a fishing trip. We fished for about an hour and then I said we need to move quickly to another spot. The wind had come up a bit.

In less than 5 minutes he was so enthralled with sailing that he said we could skip the fishing and just sail the rest of the morning. Now he's trying to figure out a way to buy a TI or at least a sail for his Outback.

I really do believe the Island series of boats is a fine way to introduce people who thought they didn't care for sailing, to actually sailing as a fun pastime. It's a fun boat. You get wet. You really get a sense of speed and the power of the wind.

Sorry to hijack the topic, but since you asked...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I can tell you this about Sammy's "bath" - ............. Sorry to hijack the topic, but since you asked...

Thanks Tom - its relevant and interesting from the video aspect because people you take out and also do a video of their outing have another perspective of their experience to treasure and good quality camera like the Drift and GoPro really help. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Drift Ghost camera package arrived today - this looks like a great camera and I cannot wait to try it out. I found a good package deal on Amazon which included spare battery, sd micro card, 120v/auto charger, card reader, microfiber cloth for the same $399 price as Drift and nearly all other places list for just the camera package so I saved some $$ on that. I'll post some video once I have been able to get out sailing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I shot this just this afternoon. Again, on the lower resolution. It does feature the optional external microphone.

I'm really impressed with this unit. The remote is a joy to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHSuXvvW ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good quality Tom, even at 480. They would look even crisper on Vimeo wouldn't they Aussie. I'm up for a new camera myself due to the Panasonic being drowned. I'm swaying towards the Sony ActionCam only because the batteries are interchangable with my land based Sony RX100. But this Drift does look good.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's still pretty good quality video and the sound is VERY good - surprisingly so considering the wind. Virtually all action cameras have lousy sound at speed or in windy conditions - that's the best sound I have heard from an action cam Tom.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter : yes video quality is better on vimeo - I prefer watching videos on vimeo than youtube for that reason (plus no ads)
Did a test run on the weekend. I attached the Drift cam to a railblaza platform using standard camera mount on the camera but video ended up being 90degrees out of balance so I obviously didn't pay attention to the setup :lol: - the quality looks good but I'll have to rotate it to make it watchable. oh well its all learning :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone found any mods you can do to the drift ghost? I'd like to be able to change lenses if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The lens can be rotated to accommodate different mounting positions. The camera also ships with an extra lens, in case the original gets scratched, damaged, etc. Because it is so easy to change out lenses, maybe they'll offer some different types, angles, etc. Although there is already a setting within the camera that allows you to change from a wide to wider angle setting.