Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New i12s Owner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings. I recently purchased a used i12s and was wondering what recommendations anyone has on tricking it out to make it even more enjoyable. My i12s is a 2008 model and hasn't had any modifications.

I plan to mainly use it in streams or along the Susquehanna River (I live near Harrisburg, PA). I typically use all my vacation days (2-3 weeks) at the beach in the summer and can see me taking this along next year for some cruising in the bay.

I'm not really a fisherman, so I don't have many needs in this arena.

I'm a big guy (350lbs.) with some bad knees.

Any recommendations for a casual user to make this an even more enjoyable experience (other than a bigger vehicle so I don't have to keep folding it up and putting it in my trunk with every use)?

Thanx!

TRU ...

Post subject: Re: New i12s Owner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome aboard!

This recent thread on the i9s applies equally to the i12s: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48855.

Lots of good advice in there.

Rivers & bays (I'm assuming you mean the Chesapeake or Delaware since you're in Harrisburg) can be pretty challenging and unpredictable if you aren't used to boating on them. I'm pretty risk averse, so I'd test the boat on a calmer lake before going on the Susky or the bay.

Two essential pieces of equipment IMO are an electric air pump & a good plastic drop cloth. The pump will save time & energy, and the drop cloth lets you put the boat in your trunk so you can wash & bag it when you get home. Keeps the bag dry & clean for long term storage.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G Y,
Thanx for the link and advice. I've been looking thru the forums for about a week now. It's created a problem, I now want more stuff! Lots of great ideas, and lots of great kayaks and sails!

I saw a chair mod using a beach chair in the forum that I might try. I just need to find the right chair!

I've been paddling more the pedaling with the mirage drive as I've been spending some time in some streams and haven't wanted to mess up the mirage drive.

TRU ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tru,

I'd be a little leery of the beach chair idea as it raises your center of gravity. The i12s is very stable, but if you're a big fella' like you say then you'll want to keep low.

If you haven't discovered yet, you can flutter kick the mirage drive so it only flaps a couple inches from the bottom of the hull. Put one leg forward to raise the fins flush to the bottom of the hull then just do very short pedal strokes. You can pedal in very shallow water using this technique. The fins are tougher than you think & if you do bend a fin mast you can (usually) just bend it back straight.

Oh, and the other essential piece of gear is a PFD!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G Y,

Yeah, I don't want to raise myself too high, but I'd like my backside not to always be wet if possible. Maybe I'll try one of those pfd seat cushions to see how that does. I'd like to be up about another inch.

I've got my pfd (had it for a few years) and actually was thinking of the low profile inflatable pfd's. They look a little more comfy.

I might also try to rig up some kind of crate/basket/bin for behind the seat to put some stuff in.

Time to go hit the water!

TRU ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greatly enjoying my i12s! I've been out on it about 8 times in the past 2 weeks. I do have a couple of questions for other inflatable owners.

Hazy morning around Harrisburg.

I seem to have a very small leak in my left chamber. When I'm out in the kayak for 2-3 hours, I can't really tell it has a leak. I fully inflated the kayak and glued on ring to hold the seat back upright the other day and left it inflated for about 12 hours. The left chamber lost about 25% air. I am having trouble finding the leak (soapy solution). Any recommendations? Would slime injected into the chamber help?

The inflatable bow support that inflates when you inflate the floor is a little rough where it wedges above the hatch. Any thoughts on placing a cap or protected cover on it?

Anyone want to swap a piece of sundance patch I have for a sage patch from the patch kit. I'd prefer to keep my patches sage to match my kayak.

TRU ...

My Hobie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Best thing to do with a slow leak you can't pinpoint is to take the boat to a dealer. Even out of warranty boats are often remedied by Hobie as if the warranty was still in force. Others (frankfp) have used ToobSeal with success. My port tube is a slow leaker too, but 25% in 12 hours is pretty significant!

Guessing the boat may have been car-topped at some point & that caused the wear at the bow fabric? Think you'd just have to patch that, but something the dealer could also look at.

The dealer should be able to get you some sage fabric. I'm pretty sure the boat should have come with matching patch fabric.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanx. I'm heading to a dealer this weekend to see what they suggest about the slow leak.

I do have a patch kit and will probably use a piece of it to cover the wear area on the bow. It does look like it was car topped or stored/scraped along the top.

If anyone wants the yellow patch, send me your address and I will mail it to you.

TRU ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a thought for the seat. I use a throwable life cusion to sit on. I place it under the Hobie seat. adds about 1 inch after the weight of the person compresses it a little. Also to help save my back I place a plastic one piece molded seat on top of the hobie seat. This gives me a rigid back to lean against. After about three hours of the soft back seat I get worn out.

One last recommendation: Take the hand pump with you if you are staying more than four hours out of the water and not having access to your auto. It is nice to add air when needed. As the air is lost the yak on the water starts to bow in the middle and has a lot more drag. This will slow you down.

Good Luck on the seat mods and see the difference it makes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinwater,

Thanx! I have been using two foam stadium cushions to raise me up about an inch. It has definitely helped. I'm still looking for more back support and might have to give your idea a try.

I have been using it on a lake nearby and have started to really think about the sail option. I know it's not a big sail, but it looks like it will add some additional fun. I don't have the turbo fins or sailing rudder. Man, this can get expensive!

Next week I will be going to Ocean City, Maryland and will be trying the i12s out there. I will definitely be having the pump with me on my longer treks!

TRU ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried out a small beach chair and it worked great! I had it sitting on some foam blocks to prevent it from rubber the sides. Unfortunately, I ended up breaking the chair doing something else (oops).

No doubt about it, I was seated higher in the kayak. While it wasn't tippy, I could see how it could be in windy weather or choppy water. I GREATLY liked the back support it provided. That made a huge difference and made I even more enjoyable! I definitely need to figure out how to keep the back support.

It was a gorgeous morning out on the water!

I put a few thoughts and pictures of the beautiful morning on a blog post.

http://balloonpastor.com/2013/10/05/stunning-day/