Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the stock Nautos 5:1 system on a 2007 Getaway and I keep have problems cleating with the main in 15 knots+. The main sometimes comes uncleated on its own. I have read the other posts and tried different cleat angle adjustments. When the traveler is out a good bit, the cleat angle is never going to be ideal for cleating however it should stay. I even stand up to get a good cleat angle and it still come loose sometimes. Should I get the Harken 57mm system? Go to 6:1? What is the best line to get? Will new system really make a difference? I will spend the money but I just want to make sure it will really help.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an 02 purchased in 03. I upgraded to Harken after a month and it still works flawlessly 10 years later. It does solve the problem. I am still using the original main sheet. You don't need a 6:1 system unless you can't handle the pull on the current 5:1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the model number for the harken block that you're discussing? I couldn't determine from the catalogs...thanks.

Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Please double check with a Hobie dealer or Murrays at their 800 number should be able to help, but it looks like the current Harken part numbers are:

28-2629 for a 57 mm Triple Carbo Ratchamatic base

and

28-004 for a 57 mm double block with becket to go on top

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It is weird that the cleat would become uncleated with a lot of wind if it was properly cleated. With that wind, the mainsail should be pulling hard and I'd say it could be difficult to uncleat. Sometimes it may happen (it has happened to me) that you step on the sheet and that makes it uncleat. Personally I would almost never cleat the mainsail above 15 knots so that I can quickly release it if something happens (like a big gust)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! The Harken 57 mm Triple Carbo Ratchamatic base is outstanding. Cleating and uncleating is much better. The Ratchamatic system is great is heavy air also, It reduces the tension on the main by a factor of ten and thus is much safer. The Robline was expensive but it is and very light. Both are well worth the money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone ever had a problem with the jib sheet being really difficult to cleat and release while sitting on the wings? How did you fix that ?