PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out this FAQ:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1155#p3589

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Serial number.

Quote:
Hulls - What year / model year is my Hobie?

CCML1944A888 ( CCM L 1944 A 8 88 )

CCM - Coast Catamaran Manufacturer

L - The letter in that position "L" stands for the model of boat/kayak. Each boat model (H16, H17, H18 etc.) starts out with a different letter. If more than 9,999 of that model were built in one year, there would be multiple letters for a single model. In example, there were so many Hobie 16's built in some years that the model letters include CCMB, D, E, F, L, O, P R and S (also do to several other factors). The letter must change if we build more than 9,999 in one year.

1944 - Serial number sequence number

A - "A" is the month for January, "B" February and so on.

8 - year which was built in 1988

88- Your boat is a 1988 model year. Model years are like cars. The new year starts in September.

If the last of the sequence read I889, The boat would have been built in September of 1988 as a 1989 Model Year boat.

http://www.hobiecat.com/articles/boat-s ... cation,15/

OLDER BOATS :

Just before the latest serial number system, the following format was used:

Sample Serial Number "CCMP8281M81G-A1"

Built in "M" Model Year
"81" 1981
"G" Production Month (A=August, B=September...) February 1981
"A-1" Second Quality.

------------------

For boats that are older than 1973, a four digit number was used. the number was stamped into the forward plyon post on the outboard side. The plyon posts are what the trampoline is supported by above the hulls.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,
My Hobie 14 Turbo has a four digit number on each of the forward pylons. So, based on the information in your post, it is a pre-1973 Hobie 14. My questions are: Can you tell exactly what year it was made from the four-digit number? Also, each of the four numbers on mine has what looks like a couple of number "ones" (1) struck across it horizontally. It's as if someone tried to cross out or x-out the numbers. The style of the "ones" is the same as the other numbers. Does this mean anything in particular? There are also three numbers a little bit to the right of the four numbers and those are x-out as well. I would appreciate any information about this.
Thanks,
Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

H2OCat wrote:
My questions are: Can you tell exactly what year it was made from the four-digit number?

Not really. Knowing that the boats went into production in 1968 and were numbered that way until 1973 can give you a rough idea, but not exact. Numbers went up to the mid-5000s before the new numbering system was mandated by law.

H2OCat wrote:
Also, each of the four numbers on mine has what looks like a couple of number "ones" (1) struck across it horizontally. It's as if someone tried to cross out or x-out the numbers. The style of the "ones" is the same as the other numbers. Does this mean anything in particular? There are also three numbers a little bit to the right of the four numbers and those are x-out as well.

That is weird. Are there numbers on the transoms? I'm thinking this might have been a transitional boat - numbered both ways. What are the numbers under the strike-outs?

The factory turbos were not produced until the late '70s / early '80s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The numbers are 4271 and then a little space and what looks like 112, but unlike the first four numbers, the first two of these three numbers aren't really straight. The two ones in the group of three may have been used to cross out another number, but it's hard to tell. The last number (2) is not crossed out and it is straight (lined up like the four digit number). As far as the turbo, a previous owner might have just added the jib so probably not a factory turbo. I have a picture of the numbers, but I don't know how to attach it. Thanks for your response! Look forward to hearing what you think!
Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi MBounds,
I forgot to say in my previous post that I checked the transoms like you mentioned and didn't see an identification number on either. The boat has been repainted because it has patches of yellow and also green in places. So the numbers could be covered up I guess. I see an old Hobie logo sticker under a layer of paint (or gelcoat, maybe) on the back section of the outboard side of both hulls. Any ideas based on my last post plus this new information? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey y'all! Is Matt Miller out there? If so, what do you think these numbers mean with the "ones" across them? What about the three after the set of four numbers? Have you seen any of this before? Would love to get your input. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Stamped on the pylons would have to be pre-1974

Never seen one crossed off. Maybe hulls produced earlier and shipped with the new serial number system on the transom is my only guess, but why crossed off and then 3 more? Maybe hull replacements? For registration the number was altered.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, great ideas, thanks Matt! I guess, ultimately, it doesn't really matter what year it was made. I need to just fix the soft spots on the hulls and go sail!! Thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

May I jump in here and ask about the age of my Hobie? I recently was given a busted-up old Hobie in remote northern Australia. The Hobie has number "3507" stamped on the left rear "stanchion" and has no other numbers. Can I assume this Hobie to be from about 1970?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Based on what these guys have told me, you can't tell the exact year on the ones that have the four digit number on the pylons. But it has to be pre-1973, because they started putting the numbers on the transoms in 1973 as I understand it. MBounds said, in an earlier post, that this numbering system went up to the mid-5000s before they moved the numbers to the transoms. You didn't say, but I'm assuming yours is a Hobie 16 and those came out in 1970. So it is somewhere between 1970-1972 and since the number is 3507, maybe it is late 1971?? Maybe MBounds or mmiller could correct me if I'm wrong about this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Captain_Sensible wrote:
May I jump in here and ask about the age of my Hobie? I recently was given a busted-up old Hobie in remote northern Australia. The Hobie has number "3507" stamped on the left rear "stanchion" and has no other numbers. Can I assume this Hobie to be from about 1970?

Left rear is odd. Hobie Cats are also produced in Australia, but not that far back I would bet. Could be an Aussie system on a boat made later, but not current.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently acquired a Hobie 16 that the Boy Scout council left behind when they sold their camp. I have done enough research using the model year history post to assume it is pre-1972. The odd item is the serial number on the pylon is 767. There is no serial number on the transom. NH DMV tells me I need proof of year (MSO or prior registration) in order to register the boat.
The clues are the original sliding plate main traveller car and original mast step with hook,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Yep... old. Pre 1973. That is a s close as we can get.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)