Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We just purchased a 20013 Oasis this past weekend and have been out on it twice. So far we are loving the kayak, I will put up a separate review post later. I was wiping down the bottom of the kayak hull last night after we went out on it and I noticed what appears to be a bubble in the hull that was cut into at the mirage drive location. It looks like Hobie smooths out this area either by hand or with a machine. The hole in the hull doesn't go all the way through but since it is at the marine drive area, which appears to get a lot of stress from what I have been reading, should I be concerned?

We live 40 miles from the dealer and they delivered the kayak to us (for a price) since we have no way to transport it so we can't just load it up and take it to them to show them for their opinion.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Congratulations on your new Oasis and welcome to the forum! From your pics, this doesn't look like a structural problem. It's in a low stress area of the drivewell -- that notch is a guide for the Drive alignment pin and not subject to much pressure. The material tends to be thicker in the joints -- I don't think it should pose a problem. It could be plastic welded (Hobie used to supply the material at no charge), but I'd just leave it alone.

Looking forward to reading your review! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Admin

The area is a "mold part line" and is hand trimmed when it comes out of the mold. Just a low spot I believe. Unless leaking this would be a non-issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.

We have had it on the water for 5 hours now and there doesn't appear to be any leaking. If anything it looks like it does have an rounded shape going inward but not through the hull. Visually I do not see through it and I also tried to blow through it, I may have looked strange kissing the kayak, and no air was passing through.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took some measurements when I got home from work. It is definitely some sort of bubble when it was molded because the area missing expands out from the external fissure. In whole the fissure / void is 1/2" long and 1/4" deep the height varies so no use in measuring that. I guess my big concern is how thick they make this area since I am missing 1/4" already.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

You can shine a light on the area in a dark garage. Thinner is lighter.

The well areas are very thick.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)