Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI Aka weight capacity
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I saw a post where an AI or TI owner used their Island as an outrigger boat and installed a standing/casting platform on the Akas and this looked like a great way to fish the flats.

Does anyone know the weight capacity of the Akas or can anyone speak to how much weight they have put on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you're extremely obese (not saying you are) you can stand on one side of the AI on the tramp or a haka and you won't submerge the ama on that side.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good question. I know I can easily stand on a TI ama without sinking it, but not on an AI.

My best guess in salt water is 125 pounds (AI) and well over 200 pounds (TI) flotation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 230lbs. Is that more than they can handle?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone know the capacity?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Basically what kayaking bob said. At 230lb on the AI Ama, your too heavy, would submerge it, with all your weight on that one Ama. Your even pushing it on the TI single Ama. But if you were putting some of the weight on the main hull along with say a haka over the akas (straddle). You would be fine with the AI. See specs on weight for AI and TI. 350lbs, 600lbs respectively.
You could even add a Haka over the two Hakas perpendicular for a smooth walking area? (never seen it done, but why not if standing and casting is a priority)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funnily enough, I HAVE tested this! It takes 100kg (220 pounds) to put an AI ama underwsater (just) and 150kg (330 pounds) to do the same to a TI ama.

BUT this is with the weight directly above the ama, but if you put a haka halfway between hull and ama, you could double these numbers (of course you wsouldn't though)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony, I'm very surprised how high of a measurement you got for the AI. The one time I flipped an AI over, I stepped on one ama and was able to sink it to roll the boat back over without folding in the ama. (I rolled the boat in 5 foot waves with many more on their way and adrenalin took over!).

I weigh maybe 170-190 with gear. I don't doubt your expertise and accuracy. It's just funny that I was able to flip it so easily, mostly using my weight...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayakingbob:
It's sometimes amazing what people can do when their adrenalin is pumped up. We have all heard of people lifting cars off of other people in similar situations, whether this is true or not, I would have to think that because of your experience you instinctively knew what to do to get out of what sounds like a very bad spot.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is even though the AI/TI won't flip in 99 percent of the conditions, it's that 1 percent that will get us, unless we practice and instinctively know what to do in the off chance something like this does happen.
I'm guilty of never actually never practicing the published righting procedure on my TI. Though I have dumped plenty of sunfish and sailing kayaks I suspect either the AI or TI is a little more difficult to right, probably would not be a bad idea for all of us to do it on purpose at least once.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I finally found the post I was referring to: https://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=47693&p=210641&hilit=casting+platform#p210641. It was by PutAwayWet.

It appears the weight distribution would be similar to that of a Haka or tramp so I would imagine I would be ok as long as I don't venture too close to the Ama side.

I think this could, potentially, be a superior way to sight fish as your vantage point would be even higher than from the PA (not counting those who stand on their coolers).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
Tony, I'm very surprised how high of a measurement you got for the AI. The one time I flipped an AI over, I stepped on one ama and was able to sink it to roll the boat back over without folding in the ama. (I rolled the boat in 5 foot waves with many more on their way and adrenalin took over!).

I weigh maybe 170-190 with gear. I don't doubt your expertise and accuracy. It's just funny that I was able to flip it so easily, mostly using my weight...

Bob, I was told by the person who sat on the AI ama that he weighed 100kg. I weighed a bit under 150 when I tried to sink the ama on my TI, and we reckoned another 10kg would do it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is PutAwayWet's casting platform.

But, I like CR Yaker's suggestion of using a simple haka as a platform. CR actually suggested using 3 haka's--2 hakas deployed as usual (1 on each side of the hull, close to the hull) and the 3rd spanning them. This would allow casting from either side of the hull, and, since you are not standing near the ama, submerging the ama should not be a problem. Now, my camping mentality prefers using only 2 hakas. You could put the 2 hakas side-by-side to give a larger platform (and maybe sinking an AI ama), or you could deploy one close to the hull and the 2nd perpendicular and spanning the hull--this 2nd one would allow some access to the opposite side if the fish you are targeting moved.

In any case, I like the idea of using the hakas as a casting platform--even when out camping, but on your day off from traveling. Once again, we are looking at the great versatility of hakas!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe Roadrunner once stated the buoyancy of an AI ama was 220# and he's usually right about these things in my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On a closely related issue, if you take a passenger on a tramp, how much clearance do they have above the water? Assume flat, fresh water, 90kg (200lb) captain, 60kg (130lb) passenger. I'm interested in taking my wife out on a kayak plus single ama setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

flat water, tight tramps, and 130lb not moving around may stay dry .. add any wave, movement, or a good meal and "WetTush" may become their nom de plume

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV