Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White boards on the PA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Down South Alabama the black boards get hot in the summer! I would like to replace the black boards with white. Has anyone done this? If so please send some guidance my way!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Down South Alabama the black boards get hot in the summer!

The mystery of why school is not is session year round - is solved. :lol:

Remove the old boards for templates. You could use a white cutting board for the new ones, cut sand, drill the holes and use the old hardware to mount. There was a post a few months ago where someone made new boards from, well boards - I forget which kind, teak maybe. They looked real nice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

McMaster carries all kinds of plastic. You'd probably want something like white hdpv in 36x12 in quarter inch thickness, rip it lengthwise. Do measure before ordering.

Or you can apply aluminum duct tape to the stock ones, for real touch of style and serious amount of bling.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Best price I've found for starboard is eBay. You can find it in a couple colors, wht and light gray too.

Starboard can be worked like standard wood. Easy to cut, router and drill. The only item it can't do is hold a wood screw, you have to use a machine screw/nut combo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Starboard appears to be polyethylene. Looks like West Marine carries it if you are willing to pay times 3 for it. By the way it will hold machine screws w/o nuts if the appropriate pilot drill size is used. For example, Yak Attack track comes with the screws and the proper drill bit.

Looks like a good solution. I too live in LA (Lower Alabama) and the black stuff gets very hot. It would be a good idea to swap it out with a lighter color.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just purchased a sheet on eBay: 1/4" x 24" x 54" for $43.95. Should be enough to do two Pro Anglers including the cutting boards. Thanks for the info on the actual name of the boards, what to get and where to find it, cheap!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Iceyak.....The "black boards" on my 2013 PA-14 are 3/8" (0.375" ) thick.....if you ordered 1/4" thick boards, I would worry about having too much twist if you mount rod holders and or a down rigger.
I just installed a Scotty Depth master #1050 down rigger and used a "brace" between the outer edge machine screw of the mounting base and the vertical wall of the kayak to take out the movement of the black board....tried to get a "triangle" effect brace.....it really stiffed up the board.