Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,
We're just starting to set up a winter Fla vacation does anyone have experience Hobie sailing at this park in January? I know it can get cool/cold when the fronts come through. We've stayed in Pensacola, Ft Walton, Jax, and points south. But this is the first year I want to bring the Hobie.
Can you recommend any other great park to sail in Florida?
Thanks for any info.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SailorJon :
We live a little further south in Sarasota (south Florida), In January here the water gets down to the low 60's wetsuits/drysuits are appropriate if your going out in open water. The downside to the heavy gear at least here anyway is when it gets up to the mid to high 70's on nice sunny days and you roast in that heavy gear. But we go out anyway, just make sure you file a float plan with someone who can come and get you if your overdue, multiple boats are always safer.

Consider though it's still better than up north that time of year, up there if you do fall over while out on the water you just get up dust the snow off yourself and walk off the ice.
During the winter we spend a lot more time down in Key West where the water only gets down to around 75 degrees in winter.
Hopefully someone in that specific area will chime in.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailor Jon,

I like to sail in the winter in St. Andrews Bay. You can easily access it from St. Andrews State Park or Carl Grey Park (next to Gulf Coast State College in Panama City, FL.).

If the water and air temp is above 65 and it's sunny with a 10-15 knot breeze, then it is time to go sailing.

Attached is a NOAA plot of air and water temperatures in St. Andrews Bay at the Panama City Marina.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailerjon:
Those temps aren't a lot different from sarasota, and I'm out there every weekend it's up in the 70's and sunny, I would definitely take my Hobie if it were me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the feedback. We decided to book January in the Pensacola area. Looks like a lot of great potential sailing in the area. I last sailed there back in about 1981.
It'll be interesting to see how the area has changed. I can remember coming across a crock on some deserted stretch of hwy 98 driving an mgtd where I could reach out and put my palm on the ground! Small car mixed with big reptile left a lasting memory:)