Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lots of questions...

Considering getting a new tramp. My 88 turbo has the original vinyl light blue one. I have double grommets across the back and down the center (it's tight!)

The hiking straps are tearing out and the whole thing is looking pretty sad. When I pull it off to have the straps sewn, it may not survive the operation, it might just crack and crumble.

I've never sailed a 14 with a mesh tramp, any opinions? Does the water really splash up from underneath? Is it slippery?
A new vinyl light blue one would be a no-brainer, but I'm pretty sure my only choice in vinyl is white. And that seems boring. Plus it would show the dirt.

Are the hiking straps on new Hobie tramps installed with a twist in them so you can peg your feet under them?
Anyone tried using the Bravo pads on the straps? Would that work? How long are those bravo pads?

Finally aftermarket, the price is tempting, anyone using one?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

hobie88 wrote:
Are the hiking straps on new Hobie tramps installed with a twist in them so you can peg your feet under them?

Yes.

Quote:
14 with a mesh tramp, any opinions? Does the water really splash up from underneath? Is it slippery?

Hobie mesh is great! Same vinyl material, so same slip factors apply. Scrub a new tramp with an abrasive cleanser. The 14 is wet. You wouldn't really notice a difference and water drains right through.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I replaced my old vinyl tramp on my Hobie 14 last summer, I went with a Hobie-built mesh tramp. Glad I did. It's total quality, there's not a stronger, better built tramp anywhere. I helped a guy install a new aftermarket tramp a couple of years ago and it was junk. At least with trampolines and sails, you get what you pay for. With the mesh, you'll appreciate the water draining back through without making puddles.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sold on the Hobie mesh.

I just need to decide between black and turquoise...

Had a chance to compare the turquoise mesh on a Getaway with an aftermarket black mesh. The Hobie mesh is not slippery at all and the quality is outstanding.

The aftermarket was slippery, just as I remember it being. Plus all the seams are sewn instead of heat sealed.
The turquoise color is more blue than I expected, pretty close to my old light blue one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm impressed with the praises given to mesh for comfort, but does it have an endurance track record? The heat sealed vinyl on my 16 lasted 24 yrs. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The mesh is made of the same material and heat welded as well. It should have a similar life span.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My SX18 mesh tramps (original from 1989) are just starting to go...... at one spot....
can't complain about Hobie quality!