Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA14 questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I currently own a 2013 Native Mariner 12.5. I was looking to upgrade to the Slayer Propel. Well last trip offshore my Propel drive seized up. Left me paddling the Mariner over 8 miles. I redefined pissed off being in that situation with no beer.....

I am going to have a hard time trusting the Propel now. My dealer is currently touring the Native Factory and took my drive with him so they can look at it. I will always be second guessing this drive system from now on.

Tomorrow I am driving over to Fairhope Boat Co to try out a PA14. My biggest concerns are weight and how it handles surf. I am 5' 11" and 135 lbs. Was already looking for a trailer for the Mariner. I have a truck with an 8' bed though. I can always truck load it like I have always done. I will be using the PA for deer hunting also. It will take some getting used to not having reverse. Looking online I like alot of the features of the PA such as tackle storage, rod tubes, rod holders, sideboards, Vantage Seat, and the bow compartment. How do y'all think the PA will compare to the Slayer Propel? And what are the big changes coming to the Hobie kayaks that everyone is talking about? Or is it a rumor?

I fish offshore any chance I can get. We have been going further. The farthest I have been is 4 miles. I also fish inshore but I pretty much suck at it. I'd rather drag dusters or bottom fish.

Sent from the dam phone using Tapatalk 2

Post subject: Re: PA14 questions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

J,
I have two PAs on a Hobie tandem trailer. The trailer is a piece of cake to load and unload but I only use it when I need two boats. I also use an extender and haul one in my truck. If you really only weigh 135, you are going to be handling a boat that will match your body weight when loaded. Any time I start moving something that equals my weight the physics of the situation kicks in and I struggle.

I am a big boy, so I personally have no problem handling the PA. If you are going to haul it in the back of a truck you will want a tethering system to help you pull it up into the vehicle. My truck is a 4x4 (not jacked up) and the additional height is a bit more challenging. I had mine slip back out on me as I had it about half way in on a steep ramp and it nearly took my hand off. I since use a pulley and tether and pull it into the truck. This arrangement allows me to get the nose up on the extender and then keep tension on it as it goes up and in the bed.

The PA is not going to be as agile as some of the SOT kayaks in the surf. My son has done it, I have not. Looks like you are on the gulf coast and the surf isn't as big here as other places and on the proper day, you should not have a big problem.

I personally like the PA as a fishing platform for inshore and freshwater. I have used mine significantly in the river swamps of South Alabama and have huge respect for its stability and capacity. It has enough capacity for my Snake Charmer shotgun (mental comfort against gators and snakes).

If surfing is your only game, it is good that you are trying one out. Of course, Fairhope may not provide the water conditions you need. Have you considered going to Key Sailing on Pensacola Beach. That's where I gave one a spin the first time. By the way, the front trunk is known to leak when the boat is rolled or is in heavy surf. There are some fixes for that here on the board that I have read about. I did call Hobie recently and got zero information from them. I inquired as to putting in a larger profile seal and they acted as if they'd never heard of it. Do a search here and you'll find it.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I been using a Hobie PA in the Texas Gulf Coast, exclusively, for offshore fishing. Frankly, it sucks in the surf or any waves 2 ft or more. The bow does not ride up and over the waves but plows through them.

So why do I use it 99% of the time, offshore? Because it is so comfortable and has so much room that I put up with its deficiencies in the surf and bigger waves. I love my PA, once past the surf and on 2' or less seas.

One thing to watch, surf re-entry........I flipped my PA so many times I almost became a crack reel maintenance tech. I got tired of clean reels so now unless the surf is .60 or less, I re-enter the surf backwards. That way I can keep the bow straight into the waves to prevent turtling in the surf.

There are better offshore kayaks than the PA...........but none with as much room and comfort!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie Mirage Drive can also "seize up" but you're far more likely to be able to enact an on the water repair with it than with the Propel. Everything is right there in the open and frankly, the Mirage Drive has an excellent track record for reliability. I have 5 Mirage Drive kayaks currently.

The PA is a luxury cruiser, while kayaks like the Outback and particularly the Revolution and Adventure are sleek torpedo boats. They'd be easier to slice through and return in the surf, but plenty of guys use the PA in the surf so it can certainly handle it.

Another option would be the Adventure Island, which might be your best all around bet in saltwater if you intend to travel any real distance to your fishing grounds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Id like to use my PA deer hunting sounds awesome..... if I was 135lbs I might get the PA12....im 200 so I have the 14. I load mine in my tundra o problem just try not to bring the kitchen sink. I ocean fish salmon in the pacific no problem. but the bow does plow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JCooperpcola wrote:
I will be using the PA for deer hunting also. It will take some getting used to not having reverse.

Remember to always have your hobie paddle with you for reverse. Just in case something happen to your mirage drive you will need back up for the PA also.. You can also you the paddle to stroke a quicker turn-a-round with a back stroke of the oposite side of the yak.. one handed...

Good Luck on your purchase You will never ever again compair any other yak to a PA after you use it a few time. Best stated the PA is not a kayak, it is a fishing platform.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am still undecided. And have not been able to try out the PA14. The Slayer Propel is a heavy kayak. 120LBS! But one thing I love about the PA14 is just how much room there is. I don't think I could get a PA12 just due to the minimal price increase for the 14. This winter I will attempt to try both kayaks out. I got my Propel back and it's a much better feeling unit now. I appreciate yalls input. I will be trying deer hunting with the Mariner this winter so I wanna see how that goes.

Sent from the dam phone using Tapatalk 2