Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway Hull puzzle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My Getaway is a 2004 model boat. Recently, I've noticed there is a vertical crack that has appeared down the leading edge of the bow on my left hull. It doesn't look like a random meandering crack, but rather it looks like a joint/seam that is separating. Take a look at the picture (that's hopefully) attached. I'm not sure what to make of it at this point. Does anyone know if this will become a structural integrity issue? At this point, I have not tested to see if there is a leak, but plan to do so in a few days. Thanks for you input.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40191610@N05

Post subject: Re: Getaway Hull puzzle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Barry,

Earlier today, I spoke with Scott at Urethane Supply and he forwarded the image of your Getaway bow to me. I could not determine if you had looked for information in our forums or had attempted to file a claim with a dealer. I was just writing an email to you and looked for the forum URL and found your new post.

This "Crack" is very unusual. It looks like a cut. I have never seen one in this location or straight like this. I suspect an impact could have cracked along the edge of thicker material within the bow tip.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Matt,
Actually, I noticed it on Tuesday while I was getting the graphics replaced on my boat. After some searching for how to repair crosslinked PE, I found the website for Urethane Supply Co. I emailed the C.S. address and received a reply from Scott Bixler. It was after getting a picture for Scott that I decided to post to the forum. The boat is a 2004 model, so I'd be surprised if it's under warranty.
Boat usage:
We only sail a few weeks each year with the boat sitting on it's trailer the remainder of the year. When we set the boat up, we leave it for a week or two and moor it in Currituck Sound. I secure the rigging so it's tight and the mast doesn't bang around. It's protected water with a sandy bottom and shore and no docks/piers so I'm sure the boat hasn't struck anything since I bought it in 2006. Prior to that, I can't say. There were some blemishes on the bow when I purchased the boat.

I want to repair this if at all possible. And yes, I've reviewed the posted threads over the past several years about owners looking for ways to repair their hulls. But, technology changes constantly and I was hoping to see something useful.

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Seems that Scott was pretty comfortable with the welding of cross link idea, but not for structural areas. The bow gets torqued by sheeting and wave / water forces. A failure there would cause you to sink, so not comfortable about suggesting a repair if cracked.

Are you certain it is clear through? Like I said... almost looks like a cut. Does it leak?

2004 would be outside warranty (almost 10 years old now).

Replacement hulls are available at around $1,400

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

Usually we sails in light wind 5-10 mph, but on our last visit to Currituck Sound, for a couple of days we had wind in the 17-20 mph range.
We had the boat in the water for 10 days in mid August and I didn't notice any change in the amount of water in the hull. I spoke with Scott a few minutes ago and he suggested using some 40-60g sandpaper to open it up a little to see if it's just a surface crack or something deeper. If it's found to be shallow, he recommended sanding it out then finishing with 2000g sandpaper to polish it off.

The hull sounds solid for the first 5"-7" from the leading edge of the bow before it began to sound hollow. Is the bow really solid that far back from the extreme leading edge?

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Not likly solid, but thicker and close to the bow, stiffer simply due to proximity of the bow contour. Likely the same on a tuna can lid. Seems stiffer nearer the edges.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,.

I'll check it out further in a few days and update you on what I find. Thanks for the information.

Barry