Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave or 16 ???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie with a question. I have owned a Wave for a year and still learning. But there is a 16 that kicks my but on our lake. I have been reading about the 16's and it seems they are somewhat more complicated to sail compared to a Wave. Just wanted someone's 2 cents worth. Should I stick with the Wave or step up to a 16?

Post subject: Re: Wave or 16 ???
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's been a while since I was active on this forum, however I have owned a 16 and 18 in the past. I taught myself to sail on a 16. If you can sail the wave you will be able to transition to the 16. There is more to do on a 16, but they are much faster. Ask the guy for a ride and see for yourself.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If not getting your butt kicked is important to you, you'll need to change boats. How about a 17 instead, if you usually sail solo?

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never sailed a wave but I have a bravo and a couple of 16s and I would guess that is somewhat similar. In my situation both boats get some use. I would pretty much always rather sail the 16, but I have to break it down to bare hulls to put it away and it takes me about 1.5 hours to set it up and about as long to tear it down and put it away. I can have the bravo on the water in 10 minutes. So if I only have one day at the beach I will use the bravo, but if I have multiple days I will normally setup the 16. The bravo is more stable, although I have tipped them both quite a bit. I sail on the ocean and there is a smallish area inside the reef, say 1/4 mile by a couple of miles. On the bravo sailing inside the reef is just fine. But the 16 is so much faster that it is just too small of a space. If you were going to be sailing with a whole load of kids I would go for the wave because it is hard enough to keep the 16 balanced fore to aft with a lot of people, but then trying to keep everyone safe when the boom comes over during a jibe...well...just get your tacks to work every time. So probably it works out like this:
wave:
+more stable
+easier to setup
+safer
+more fun to sail in smaller areas
16:
+faster
+faster
+faster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As it appears, your primary concern is performance. When it comes to managability, if you're in good health, you can manage a H16, even if you rig & sail it solo. Much of what has already been said is true but based on personal experience, I would recommend the H16 !!! It will be a challenge but that challenge is managable and will take you to the threshhold of performance whether sailed solo or with a crew !!! :D

David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info, these forums are unbelievably helpful! I guess I am going to try to talk the wife into that we need both. I hate to part with my Wave, but I wanna go faster. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll chime back in and say you can rig a H16 in less than 15 minutes when you get some practice. I did have a mast stepping system on my trialer which helped, but it does not take much more time without. H16's are pretty darn stable. Take out a racing dinghy and you will really appreciate two hulls. As I mentioned before. Ask the guy for a ride on the H16 to see if you like it. Most sailors (especially Hobie sailors) are really friendly. I bet if you offer them a hops based beverage you will guarantee a positive response.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the advice, I'm gonna sweet talk the wife into letting me keep the Wave and get a 16. These forums are so helpful, thanks again guys!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BYT wrote:
I'm gonna sweet talk the wife into letting me keep the Wave and get a 16.

Good luck with that !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey you know what is also important is the wave has the seats so you can be much more comfortable. I mean its just hard on your back. Of coarse the stronger the wind and more consistent the wind then the angle of the boat is better. That is important if your going to sail lots and have back issues. I have a 16 love the speed but wish I had the seats. I know some one was making them but they were really expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jamisbicycles wrote:
That is important if your going to sail lots and have back issues. I have a 16 love the speed but wish I had the seats.

Hey, have you seen the name of my boat ??? Of course, I spent most of my time trapping and my doctor told me that it was good for my back. He didn't lie !!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BYT wrote:
I guess I am going to try to talk the wife into that we need both. I hate to part with my Wave, but I wanna go faster.

If you want to go faster, then forget keeping the Wave. You're not going to use it after you sail the 16. Waves are nice boats from a simplicity standpoint, but compared to the larger Hobies, there's no comparison when it comes to speed. Sell the Wave and get a nice 16.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DavidBell47 wrote:
BYT wrote:
I'm gonna sweet talk the wife into letting me keep the Wave and get a 16.

Good luck with that !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah! Ah! I have 2 boats, just for that purpose...
A H16 for when I sail with my buddies, and don't mind capsizing
and a more stable boat, when my wife wants to sail with me. She doesn't mint 25 knots... but not on the H16!

There is no comparison between the Wave and the H16, but boat have their purpose. One thing to consider is if you are sailing solo. I know a lot of people sail the H16 solo, but depending on the wind, the H16 will be a handful to sail, and to right.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DavidBell47 wrote:
As it appears, your primary concern is performance. When it comes to managability, if you're in good health, you can manage a H16, even if you rig & sail it solo. Much of what has already been said is true but based on personal experience, I would recommend the H16 !!! It will be a challenge but that challenge is managable and will take you to the threshhold of performance whether sailed solo or with a crew !!! :D

I second this!!! 8) :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waves are great, easy to setup and transport. easy to sail. Can fly hulls.......... Look pretty cool.

Buy a Hobie 16.

Never sailed on a Wave!