Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How far do you go?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What was your longest one-launch-one-landing trip in your PA? I have been doing 6-9 miles of trolling pretty regularly in my PA14. Today I had a long day and did 13 miles without feeling too bad afterward. I doubt that I could do this distance with a traditional paddle kayak. What's your average and long day?

Post subject: Re: How far do you go?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my PA-14, I normally fish with my down rigger for 4.5 to 5 hours and cover 7.5 to 8 miles.....very similar to your experience.
No ill effects in my PA and on off fishing days, I ride my Exercycle and cover 16.2 miles in 50 minutes......burn about 535 calories and sweat off 1.25 pounds.
Fishing is better!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I probably average 6 miles per trip...but I have pedaled more than 10 miles during several tournaments.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jim,
Interesting question and I'm looking forward to the responses.

During my Lake Superior trip, I departed Loon Harbor at 7:15 AM and arrived at Woodbine by 10:30 in the evening, covering no less than 36 miles. I wasn't fishing so this may not count. I was to meet my family at Woodbine and knew they'd be worried if I didn't show up. I say "no less than 36" because they weren't where we were supposed to meet and I spent well over an hour in search of them. I headed to Woodbine Harbor, the only other anchorage near by and one we would visit regularly, another 8 miles. Also, the chart plotter gives distance in a straight line and I stuck fairly close to the shore which was anything but straight. The original trip was 28 miles but things didn't work out as planned.

On average during this trip, I'd say a minimum of 15 miles a day. I fished all day every day.... it was how I ate. It helped me understand why "food gatherer's" didn't survive. This was during my adventure on Lake Superior. On an average fishing outing down state, I'd guess I usually cover 6-8 miles.

Cheers,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guess I do 6-8 miles in one outting. However, being smart as I am.... I always make sure that I am riding the tide out and riding it back in :mrgreen: Total effort may equal 3-5 miles :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For those that kayak 6 to 10 miles on a regular basis how has your mirage drive and rudder held up? I'm curious if you do anything to keep working parts, etc working well?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jims wrote:
For those that kayak 6 to 10 miles on a regular basis how has your mirage drive and rudder held up? I'm curious if you do anything to keep working parts, etc working well?

A really good spray-down with the hose at the end of the day - then a liberal coating of WD-40 on the chain and all joints and metal parts. I try to pamper the drive, as a person would take care of an expensive paddle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jims wrote:

On my Outfitter, I travelled in excess of 2500km in saltwater over the 4 years I was using it, measured by my GPS and my sounder (with built-in GPS). I say "in excess" because I didn't always use the GPS, but 2500km was the measured distance on those units. (Most trips were 5 to 10km, some were 20km.)

In that time, I needed to replace one worn (rusted) chain-cable. I replaced the other at the same time even though it didn't show signs of wearing out. I also replaced the idler cable.

My maintenance routine was hosing with fresh water after each use and following most trips, I would spray the moving parts with Inox.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have no idea of the miles, but I often fish for five to six hours at a "slow walking speed" troll in my Prangler 14. Figure two miles an hour, more or less. You can cover a lot of distance within a mile or so of the launch/land site that way and never even realize it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 57 year old 5ft 4 inch 110 lb wife regularly pedals 11-12 miles with me oftentimes in sporty conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like Chuck will put us all to shame with his "no less than 36 miles" in one sitting. Still, considering the distances routinely covered by most, I am surprised that this is not more of a differentiating feature when comparing pedal vs paddle kakaks. I frequently hear of the advantage of hands free fishing, but the flip side of that (your stronger legs are doing most of the work) is seldom mentioned.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm right there with the majority of the crowd. 6-9 miles is an average day on the water. I've done right at 15 miles in one day but it was a daylight to dark trip so I wasn't looking for distance. The majority of that was likely at around 1.5-2 miles per hour. I never stake out so the majority of my day is spent on the move.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine are almost always 6 miles or less. Most maybe 10 on the lake. Am tired at the end of the day but never was sore.
Jim