Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, After going around a few circles with my homeowner's insurance yesterday, and looking at the boat registration rules for NJ, I'd like to ask: is a TI considered a sailboat or a kayak? The insurance (Liberty Mutual) had different rates for each (DH said I shouldn't have mentioned the sail, as it's an accessory to the kayak... ). Looking at the reg info for NJ is also confusing: boats longer than 12ft must be registered, regardless of propulsion, but not "non-motorized inflatable devices, surfboards, racing shells, dinghies, canoes and kayaks."

You should have heard the reaction of the insurance agent when I mentioned trampolines... :shock:

Are the Jersey Islanders here registered? And how does your insurance classify you?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock: I think you are going to have to ask for the phone number of the underwriter that services your insurance agency. Your agent probably knows how to insure a car or home but has no
idea what you are talking about when you ask about boats. Even then, the agent may write up a void policy if he/she tries to send it to the underwriters. Skip the agent and talk to the underwriters.
Let your underwriter ask the questions about the Tandem, they will check off the information that the company requires...rather than you volunteering info that will probably just confuse them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't understand the folks need for insurance. This is a luxury item, not a basic life necessity. Your not required to insure. Good common sense of use won't expose you to any liabilities. The whole idea of insurance was to spread out the risk factors to a larger group of people, so that when a small group of that much larger group suffered losses, then the whole made them good (Now a days it's companies making money for their shareholders). In the old days this was accomplished by neighbors helping each other out. But for a recreational kayak???? Gone a bit too far if you ask me. Keep it simple.
:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I am a pensioner, and if my Tandem Island is stolen, and I didn't have insurance, I could not afford to replace it. Let's not even begin to think of the potential costs should I have the misfortune to injure someone with it. Perhaps you should put yourself in the shoes of others....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, and you could also die at sea from a freak wave/lightning strike/monster from the black lagoon. 8)
Like I said, good common sense goes a long way as an excellent insurance policy, I understand your concerns, but that's life? :)
If I have to be so concerned about loss/stolen/liability/death, then I probably just not going to do it. That's what got me into kayaking in the first place, simplicity. :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You must be saving lots on house, life and car insurance then

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Insurance????

It's not necessarily about liability. It is a luxury item, and in some ways makes even more sense to insure... Against loss. I bought a policy specifically to insure it in case of loss, theft, fire etc... Don't wanna have to she'll out another 6500 bones.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
You must be saving lots on house, life and car insurance then

That's for sure, Tony. :lol:
Don't get me started on Life insurance? What a waste of money for dependent free households. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd like to say I'd rather this didn't turn into a debate about the merits of insurance. I'm insuring my boat, if anyone in NJ has info on my original question I'd appreciate it.

BTW--I didn't volunteer confusing information to the agent, I described the boat, and accessories I intend to purchase. I will ask for the underwriter (thank you Tidalwave), I'd hope they know better.

Of course, real simplicity would be a nice wood outrigger... No furling sail, no mirage drive, live well, electric motors, GPS, or videocam.

; )

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Following the nightmare experience suffered by Chopcat (did I get that right?) in UK, I went to considerable trouble to ensure that my insurance underwriter (not just a broker) truly understood what a Tandem Island actually entails, and that my insurance covered the items included as delivered from Hobiecat (plus of course extra cover for electronics and safety gear, trailer etc).

In a way, I think it would be nice of Hobiecat produced a formal specification document for each Island, which could then be provided to insurers, to avoid the insane possibility that you could think your Island is covered, but the underwriter ignores any component not permanently attached to the main hull.

(Sorry about the hijack BTW)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not at all--that's exactly the reason I'm asking--after reading about that, and some other problems with registration in other states. And the agent at Liberty had the same problem entering the info that I had trying to get a quote online with Boat US--the form kept insisting on a horsepower, even on a boat with no engine. I'll have to call them instead.

And if I don't actually have to register the boat I'd rather not have to stick numbers all over it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, sorry about the hijack. Guess I started it. Wish I had something to offer you on registration or insurance, but here in Costa Rica it doesn't exist. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We have 7 boats insured w/ Boat US. No TI's but our 2011 AI's are fully insured, annual premium is $128.27 each. Includes standard, mandatory liability and accidental fuel discharge (go figure). We gave up on the online forms, just call 'em and you'll have a policy in 5 minutes. The CS reps are good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sailhoky wrote:
We have 7 boats insured w/ Boat US. No TI's but our 2011 AI's are fully insured, annual premium is $128.27 each. Includes standard, mandatory liability and accidental fuel discharge (go figure). We gave up on the online forms, just call 'em and you'll have a policy in 5 minutes. The CS reps are good.

Thanks--my two Catalinas were insured with them, they're probably still the best way to go.