Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I read an article that compared paddle kayaks with a peddle model (obviously a Hobie), and the article mentioned problems with the recumbent (L) peddle position and the tendency for this position to cause or exercerbate sciatic nerve problems. I am considering getting a Hobie Oasis, but I am prone to sciatic problems. Have any others on this forum had such issues?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had lower back problems for years. Have used the Mirage Drive for 5 years now and have not found it to be a problem. One of the keys for me is to keep the seat back erect rather than leaning back.

I now have a Pro Angler and the Vantage seat has eliminated any and all problems for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because the Mirage Drive uses a back and forth pedal motion rather than a circular motion, such as on a bicycle, the seat isn't tilted very far back. I'd say most of your concerns aren't going to be a problem with the Hobie equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jweakly:
I broke my back many years ago and have chronic pain in my back. My main excersize program is pedaling my Hobie every weekend. The seat that comes with Hobie kayaks is comfortable, but if out for hours like I typically am the thin bottom on the seat can become uncomfortable. I added a 1 inch foam pad and that helps, I understand the I-comfort pads from Hobie are quite nice. One thing I have noticed when pedaling is if the seat straps slip, and you end up pedaling from a more reclined position, it really takes a toll on my back ( very painful for me and I must stop). However if I pay attention and keep the seat upright, and inflate the lumbar supports and sit tight in the seat I can pedal for ten hours straight with no issues or back pain. When upright and tight in the seat, there is no stress or motion in your back at all. I have great difficulty paddling with paddle kayaks because of the constant turning of your back required. We are avid long time kayakers and started out on paddle kayaks. My wife also has cyatic problems and must use a pad and keep motion of her lower back to a minimum, pedaling in a vertical position sitting on a pad, snuggled tightly in the Hobie seat helps her back problems also.
Using Hobie kayaks with mirage drives quadrupled our effective range. We can both go out and pedal for ten hours up rivers, and get up and do it again the next day, neither of us are particularly fit, and I'm in my 60's.
As a side note, we also got the sail kits for our Hobies, and tripled our range again. Lately though we both seem to enjoy tandem kayaking, with our Hobie tandem island (TI) we can take turns pedaling, so the other person gets a break once in a while, and the TI even with just one peddler is faster than pretty much anything else out there. We also now enjoy sailing as well, but are still hard core kayak ers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had no history of back problems/pain until I started pedalling my Hobie.

In my Revo and A.I. I usually get lower-back and leg pain (I'm guessing it's the sciatic nerve) after pedalling for a while.

I haven't noticed any improvement since fitting the skipper seat to my A.I.

I think it's all due to the angle of the lower-back and legs, when in the sitting position.

Strangely, when I ride my push-bike, I don't have any pain.

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had a weak lower back for 23 years. No problems using my Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Last year on my Revo 13...my stock Hobie seat kept slipping back so the lean angle kept increasing...I was on a 5 or 6 mile excursion in roughest water I have been in.... I'd straighten it up the best I could many times...Had a 4 hour drive home after and next day and following month and a half I had tremendous pain in my left leg from upper butt to knee. Could hardly walk and had to reduce my work load and lay in bed just right...work for myself so had to keep going... Bought a couple non Hobie seats since (Skwoosh and a Surf to Summit) and all seems ok except now once in a while the left cheek gets a bit numb just sitting anywhere.....but I will live some how. The Hobie Sport's seats never give me any problem though.
Still love my Hobies in case anyone was a wonderin'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kramster:
I have the exact same problem with the standard Hobie seats. The buckles slip and before you know it you are reclined too far. It's usually at that point that my back starts to hurt and I get very uncomfortable. I found that if you twist the clips one or two turns before clipping into the hull they don't slip as much, however even with the twists they eventually slip, but they do last longer. Adding the 1 inch thick foam pad stopped my bum from going numb after an hour of sitting peddling, I'm assuming the numbness is a bad thing besides being uncomfortable, possibly pinching nerves or cutting off circulation somewhere, so it's probably important not to allow that to happen. Adding padding, twisting the clips or do as you did and switch out the seats to something else.

I've seen some seats on a couple ocean brand kayaks that looked really comfortable, they were black and looked like a full bucket seat (support all around your midrif and higher than the Hobie seats, I have no idea if they were standard or aftermarket, but I remember thinking, boy would I like to have those in my Hobie ( I have no idea if they would fit or not, or what brand they were though.

Pedaling and sailing my TI around every weekend is my excersize program, and I pedal 100% of the time typically, even if I do 40 or 50 miles that day ( my boat is very fast).

It's important to be comfortable, and I am assuming if done improperly (peddling, or sitting wrong) I could injure myself and be forced to change to a different hobby/excersize program.
So far this form of excersize appears to do the least damage where my old excersize programs ( ie.. Karate, soccer, etc) took a toll on my body that I now have to live with.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same here, sufferer of lower back pain and absolutely hate when the seat straps slip. I adjust them and then tie a knot with the trailing end of the strap, seems to be holding up so far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have had lower back problems due to a couple breaks, although no major sciatic. I don't over inflate the back cushion as partially inflated seems more comfortable. Adding a butt cushion should also help you avoid back pain.
i don't have pain with my hobie. i think the leg motion actually helps prevent pain as it keeps you limber and the blood flowing to the area.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My life jacket leaves a space on my lower back, so I strapped two prices of noodle to the lower portion of the seat for support. Your lower back is going to take the brunt of the opposing force of your legs. This modification held up to the 340 miles of my race in July. ImageImage

Reeves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I found that my biggest issue was the lack of upper back support. Looking at the AI/TI forums, I made myself a "roll bar" out of PVC and included a fold down back suppot piece. Made a huge difference. I have one made for my AI and Outback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't yet have a TI, but as far as the slipping strap--there are metal clips made for keeping non-ratcheting seat belts from loosening up on infant seats, maybe a couple of those would stop the slippage? You tuck the overlapping straps together into it. I'm not sure how wide the Hobie straps are, tho.