Total votes : 1
 Post subject: Wave NA's - IWCA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

International Wave Class Association North Americans

Oct 25 - 28 Pensacola Beach Florida.

NOR
http://pensacolabeach-yc.org/Events/tab ... fault.aspx

Last edited by dtw8689 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I know it's confusing, but the Hobie Wave NA's were already held this year (Lake Arrowhead, CA).

What you are referencing here is the IWCA Wave NA's. The IWCA uses a different set of class rules - the primary difference is they allow non-OEM sails, which inflates the cost of competition. A racing sail for the Wave can be very expensive.

The IWCA is not allowed to use the registered trademark (Hobie) in any of their publications and technically is not allowed to use the word "international" in their name (which is reserved for ISAF International Classes), but that's for ISAF to police.

This event is not sanctioned by the Hobie Class Assn. of North America.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
The IWCA uses a different set of class rules - the primary difference is they allow non-OEM sails, which inflates the cost of competition. A racing sail for the Wave can be very expensive.

Well, ... I race in both NAHCA and IWCA regattas, and an aftermarket sail for a Wave, mine is a North from the Bossett loft in New Jersey, is only a couple of bucks different in price than a new white sail from Hobie. The Hobie colored sails are more expensive. It would appear that the aftermarket sails might be a touch faster as well, judging from regattas where both raced together. Since sails do get used up if you care about performance then it's a question of design and longevity. I have an opinion on that but it's just an opinion.

Post subject: Re: Wave NA's - IWCA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Point: I think I got this figured out WHY the North Sails (and other brands) are a touch faster downwind than the hobie sail. I am going to test my theory next time I get to sail an IWCA event. Up wind, I would argue that some of the IWCA guys are just flat ass better sailors than the others (us newer HCA Wave racers vs the IWCA old timers) but downwind.......there seems to be something there that works out for them. I spent some time staring at the North sail on the reaches at Put in Bay and I think I got it. Wish I could go to Pensacola in Oct to see........Galveston is sucking up all my regatta time and money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What a tease!

If you know you surely do have to tell. If you think you know then you have to tell. If you think you know then you have to bring your Hobie sail to Pensacola. Hmmmm, that might not work, I haven't decided to go yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dont think its all that big of a deal, but the lack of batten across the bottom of the sail is the main difference, the slight difference in cut up front and back and top are not enough to make that big a differnece in a low perf boat like that. I am going to sand the piss out of the middle of my bottom batten and see how much shape I can get and see if that does the trick.
I really wish I could go to Florida for this, but I am committed to tx this year. The good thing is that my daughter is going to be stationed in Pensacola starting in Jan and will be there for a few years so it'll be easier to get down to some of those awesome wave events.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I already sanded the piss out of all my battens, well, I did the second one down but it ended up about where the stock one starts, ... a long story. Anyways, if you want where I ended up my battens are now, top to bottom, 5,4,3,3,2.5. I think the top two are too stiff but I am scared to sand them any more since something has to support the roach up there. I tie the top two in quite tight to try and make the sail more full up there, the next two the sail is pretty full, and the bottom is too flat. So I asked if a clew plate was legal, NO; so ... well you know the rest about clew plates. All in an effort to get some fullness down there, same as you are wanting.

Good luck, wear a mask and gloves, tell me how it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The clew plate class rule change has been proposed - decision coming up in October.
http://www.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/ih ... mments.pdf