Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm having a hard time finding a decent used Wave sail but have several old 16 mains laying around. Has anyone tried to have a sailmaker convert a 16 into a wave? Offhand it doesn't seem like it'd be terribly difficult, simply give them the dimensions, a few things would need to be re-positioned, but either way it seems that it would come out to be significantly cheaper than buying a new wave main. I'm looking for any tips or advice on this one I need to get the boat out on the water while there is still some warmth!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wish Hobie would make a bigger Hobie Wave Main Sail, so the boat could perform better in low winds. I love my Wave, but it is extremely underpowered in light winds. In windsurfing they use different size sails according to the wind speed, why not do it for the Hobie Wave? It would make the boat so much more versatile!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Very little room for a larger sail on a Wave mast. It already has a fat head.

Cat rigs are very different than windsurf rigs. For larger windsurf rigs, you extend the mast length (adjustable base or tip extenders) you also change or adjust the boom length. Then you typically can move the mast forward, add a larger board or larger fin to balance the larger sail size.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Very little room for a larger sail on a Wave mast. It already has a fat head.

Cat rigs are very different than windsurf rigs. For larger windsurf rigs, you extend the mast length (adjustable base or tip extenders) you also change or adjust the boom length. Then you typically can move the mast forward, add a larger board or larger fin to balance the larger sail size.

I windsurf with a 145 board & 6.0 & 8.0 & 9.0 sails. Could Hobie make a NEW extended length Wave Comptip Mast so it can fit a NEW bigger Hobie Wave sail? It would make the boat so much more versatile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you put a Hobie T2 mast & sail on a Hobie Wave?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Creative wrote:

You don't have to wait for T2. Get a used H17 mast and sail to nearly double your Wave sail area! H17 and wave use the same mast ball, so all you will need is some custom standing rigging.

Sound insane? It probably is..., but surely, you 'll be a big hit on YouTube :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

CUSailor wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding a decent used Wave sail but have several old 16 mains laying around. Has anyone tried to have a sailmaker convert a 16 into a wave? Offhand it doesn't seem like it'd be terribly difficult, simply give them the dimensions, a few things would need to be re-positioned, but either way it seems that it would come out to be significantly cheaper than buying a new wave main. I'm looking for any tips or advice on this one I need to get the boat out on the water while there is still some warmth!!

Why not just get the right sail from your Hobie dealer or perhaps an aftermarket sailmaker?

I can't imagine any real sailmaker would even consider modifying an H-16 sail for less than making you a new one that fits.

Trust me, there is no economy in doing what you suggest, and even if it could be done for a reasonable price, you would still have a crappy sail made out of old materials.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree that ideally we would love to get a proper new sail, best case scenario all around. The issue simply comes down to money. The cheapest I've been able to find a main was $650, but since we're a college club we have a sail maker who'd cut us a deal and try to make something for us around $450. We're mainly using this as a teaching boat to get some of the new sailors to understand the nuances of a catamaran before we let them on the 16 or 18. Since it's not going to be used for performance, rather sauntering around the lake, I can't argue spending an extra $200.

I realize that a lot of thought and design goes into these guys, it's not like a Chevy where the wiper knob on their truck will fit on their corvette, but right now we're just trying to get this guy on the water. Better to go slow than not at all.

That being said if you know of anyone anywhere that does have a true Wave sail (even used in good shape) for around $500 please let me know!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

CUSailor wrote:
I agree that ideally we would love to get a proper new sail, best case scenario all around. The issue simply comes down to money. The cheapest I've been able to find a main was $650, but since we're a college club we have a sail maker who'd cut us a deal and try to make something for us around $450. We're mainly using this as a teaching boat to get some of the new sailors to understand the nuances of a catamaran before we let them on the 16 or 18. Since it's not going to be used for performance, rather sauntering around the lake, I can't argue spending an extra $200.

I realize that a lot of thought and design goes into these guys, it's not like a Chevy where the wiper knob on their truck will fit on their corvette, but right now we're just trying to get this guy on the water. Better to go slow than not at all.

That being said if you know of anyone anywhere that does have a true Wave sail (even used in good shape) for around $500 please let me know!

I just sold a perfectly good North sail with RBS battens for $500!!!

You should be able to find something serviceable for $250 -$400.

One of the worst mistakes people make when getting beginners involved is to give them inferior equipment thinking they won't know the difference. It just makes learning that much harder.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jackB wrote:
Creative wrote:

You don't have to wait for T2. Get a used H17 mast and sail to nearly double your Wave sail area! H17 and wave use the same mast ball, so all you will need is some custom standing rigging.

Sound insane? It probably is..., but surely, you 'll be a big hit on YouTube :lol:

Pitchpole city. I had both a Wave and a 17 and thought about trying this but never did. The 17 was a totally different beast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Call Chip at Whirlwind Sails and I'll bet he can set you up with a sail that is of proper measurement for the Wave for about what you want to pay.
Bigger mast? Gimme a break