Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

... basic clean and poslish or protect with something?

...lots and LOTS of scratches on the rear one from the tiller... maybe I'll put a strip of the EVA no slip stuff on my sides used for trapping out...

hulls look great, crossbars, I'd like to spiff them up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Rob, I prepped my crossbars and then painted them with Rustoleum's new "Universal" paint from a rattle can (satin black). This is really good paint. Two seasons on and the front crossbar still looks very good but the rear is badly scratched along the top from my Hotstick. I might re-paint the rear next spring and also pad the Hotstick handle with some type of foam (Any suggestions?). My other thought is to cover the read crossbar with clear 3M bug shield for extra protection.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In regards to padding the hotstick, on a previous H16 of mine I used bicycle handlebar tape to add padding and increase the diameter.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you want polished aluminum, sand to get the scratches out, then take it to 600 grit and buff with autosol. Did on a motorcycle wheel and it was very little maintenance to keep it looking great

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BrianCT wrote:
Hi Rob, I prepped my crossbars and then painted them with Rustoleum's new "Universal" paint from a rattle can (satin black). This is really good paint. Two seasons on and the front crossbar still looks very good but the rear is badly scratched along the top from my Hotstick. I might re-paint the rear next spring and also pad the Hotstick handle with some type of foam (Any suggestions?). My other thought is to cover the read crossbar with clear 3M bug shield for extra protection.

I used Satin Black Enamel Rustoleum on a set of old H16 rudders that had completely faded from black to silver. I tried two different kinds of Rustoleum, Flat Black and Satin Enamel Black. The Satin Enamel produced far better results. The flat paint did not dry well and scratched easily. The satin enamel looks far better than I expected and is very scratch resistant. I did not prime it. Just washed it well and sprayed it.