Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, we had a great, first summer with the Wave on Lake Wallenpaupack in Pennsylvania. When storing the mast, however, we noticed some gouges in the carbon part of the mast just below the mast tang, maybe an inch long and 5mm deep? My guess is it could have been caused by the shroud clamps during motor boat chop, particularly during light winds. Does this mean the shrouds should be tighter? I tried to keep them pretty loose, but if the metal clamps are digging into the comptip mast during chop, this is a problem. I had it set up for the jib as well, but I preferred sailing without it. I don't think that would have caused an issue, but the shackle was a bit more crowded. Given that the boat was new in June, I am surprised.

Any ideas about how to repair this and what to do to avoid this in the future? I am a little worried about the durability of the comptip mast with this issue. I would upload a photo (Mac), but as a newbie I am not sure how to so.

Thanks, and I enjoy reading the forum posts!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:58 am 
Site Admin

So, you moored it in the water?

This is one of the reasons for not doing so. You need to restrain the mast from flopping around in chop and boat wakes.

Likely you can fill the groove with epoxy. Maybe add a thick piece of stick-on non-skid where the wear is happening.

First... We don't recommend mooring.

Second... restrain mast rotation, tighten the rig. Tie off anything that can move.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, we did not moor it on the water. We had it on a pvc ladder on the shore. We read that the rig should be pretty sloppy, but it sounds like this is the drawback.

I guess since there is a fair bit of motor boat chop, I need to keep the rig tighter not looser? With good wind, it isn't a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wrap the swages on the shrouds and forestay with electrical tape. On longer masts I used to use the expensive "bonds to itself" rubber tape, but it's easy enough to drop the Wave mast so I don't bother. I tape efverything that could even think about being sharp, especially ring dings. Sometimes cooling little paddling swims happen all of a sudden and the sharp bits ... film at eleven.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:40 am 
Site Admin

The rig should not be loose. Tighten the wires for sure.

While sailing in chop, in light air, the rig can shake quite a bit. Best to hold the mast with a bungee or your foot to limit rotation if the sail does not do so.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2011 Wave and store the boat (mast up) on beach wheels at a yacht club. I hadn't dropped the mast since new, until today. There's some substantial dings from the forestay and shrouds, as others have described. I keep my stays pretty tight, so the damage appears to be from sailing rather than storage. To me this is a design flaw, but relatively easy to address. I put electrical tape around the shroud/stay attachments, and until I find something better, have put 2 layers of duct tape on the mast where it's wearing.

Matt Miller -- what's the best material for bogging dings in the mast?

Stuart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Matt, I am gathering that on a big lake with motorboat chop, it is best to keep everything tight. As noted, it is more of a problem in light winds. For this situation, you wrote, "Best to hold the mast with a bungee or your foot to limit rotation if the sail does not do so." Can you tell me what this looks like? I am not sure how to do this. Also, just to clarify, I am assuming that I cannot overtighted the rig just by using the halyard for leverage. Obviously, if it's tight in light air, there will be a lot of pressure on the windward shroud in heavy air.

Thanks for the help. It is such a nice boat, both faster and more stable than our previous monohulls.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What's worked well for me since wear appeared on the comptip during the first month of sailing (only): used a short (~1") length of auto-store rubber vacuum hose held around the stay at the looped-end with two zip ties ... all in black so they blended in nicely. I did the same for the bridle terminii so that the loops wouldn't mark the hulls due to rubbing while on the trailer.