Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My relatively new 2013 Revo 13 with V2 drive had only about 10 trips on it when it broke.
One turbo fin was hanging by just the pin. The fin's shaft had come out. Did OTW repairs, while worrying that I'd drop a part in the Ocean. The shaft was in pretty tight but I managed to pull it out with my fish pliers. I screwed the shaft snuggly back in. Put the fin on and put the pin back in and secured it with the retaining ring. Fished here and there and drifted back to the harbor. The drive broke again right outside the harbor.
Saw a video where the fins came off, but in it they talked about an Allen retaining screw that holds the shaft vibrating loose. My V2 drive doesn't have this. The shaft screws in so the Alen screw is eliminated.
The Shaft seemed pretty tight fitting in the fin. Somehow the whole foot long shaft must be turning and unscrewing.
On the 2013 V2 the end of the shaft has about 1/2 " of threading versus the unthreaded shaft and Allen retaining screw in earlier models. After I fixed it the first time - OTW - I didn't do that much more pedaling so I was very surprised that it unscrewed itself in such a short time. Blue Loctite has been recommended, but I would like to see who else has had the problem, what fix was applied and did it last.
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Are you talking about the "Mast" long stainless rod threaded into the sprocket? That the fin slides onto? That coming loose would be VERY unusual. They are put in with Loc Tite.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

riverandsnow wrote:
I didn't do that much more pedaling so I was very surprised that it unscrewed itself in such a short time.
Without any thread locker, the mast can unscrew itself in a matter of minutes. Clean and dry the threads, apply Loctite Blue liberally, let it sit over night and you should have no more problems. Don't use Loctite Red. In an emergency, Teflon tape will also work. While you're at it, check the other mast and make sure it's nice and tight. 8)