Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sail riddle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When the wind is more than 8 knots my main comes down by 3 4 inches. Come back ashore and the sail is back in the position I hoisted it, fully up. I thought until then I was a fairly experienced sailor but I cannot really explain what is happening. Anyone a clue ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: sail riddle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Your sail must not be locked in at the top. If the halyard is properly locked... it can not slip down.

If you rely on halyard tension alone... sailing loads, mast bend etc could cause it to slip down a bit.

Quote:
Locking the Hobie 14/16/Getaway halyard:

Once the sail is fully hoisted (be sure that the sail is fully inserted into the feeder). Pull the halyard forward of the mast by 3-4 feet. Hold the halyard on the centerline of the mast. Pull hard and hold the tension while bringing the halyard into the mast. Release the halyard tension and see that the sail remains fully hoisted. This seats a small bead, in the halyard, under a two finger prong "hook" and the top of the mast. If the sail slips down when downhaul tension is added, repeat the final hoist technique again. Be sure the bead is clear to pass the hook before pulling tension on the halyard.

To release... fully release the downhaul and outhaul. Partially feed the sail up the luff track. Hoist with the halyard to the top till it stops, hold... pull the halyard line forward 3-4 feet away from the mast, ease the halyard to lower the sail.

Halyard locking is explained at 1:20 and on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv1L8Q3K0Wk&list=PLBB01CB7DA7D36802&feature=player_detailpage#t=80[/youtube]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you.
That was the first thing that came to my mind and I made sure the halyard was trapped into the "fingers". How are chances that it unhooks ? Since this is the only idea I got so far I will take down the mast and see if the finger hook works as it should.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I missed it several times when I started this summer, even when I thought I had it. I've taken to waving the halyard around to see if looks like it is set, and then pulling down on the mailsail with the halyard free. If the sail comes down at all--I missed it (again). Once properly clipped, it takes some down force on the halyard then a tug to the side to get it free again.

In a thread I can't find, David Bell had some tips to raising the sail that have worked great for me for those last few feet. Basic steps were standing in front of the mast and then pressing the main up by hand from the bottom for that last foot. Those last 6-10 inches seem to be the challenge. That solved all my issues with getting the halyard clip to set.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 am 
Site Admin

SeaLord wrote:
How are chances that it unhooks ?

Next to ZERO chance for it to unhook if properly set. In my nearly 40 years of sailing Hobie Cats, never seen that happen.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe your halyard keeper is bent? You should take it out, get it to sag, then try to pull your sail down. Then you'll know what's happening.