Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I am a happy camper. I headed out into my local lake after midnight and anchored no more than 200 yards from my home, and waited for the tide to turn. I then turned on my headlamp, and began scooping prawns out as they floated past on their way out to the ocean. Being a first ever go, it took me a while before I could reduce the percentage able to jump clear of my net, but I finished up with about half a kilogram (local laws mandate a handheld net for amateurs).

I am confident that next time I could get 2-3kgs, with better lighting to light up their "headlights" to give me earlier warning, plus more effective use of the net (plus, more importantly, getting there earlier so nobody else anchored further uptide!)

Yum!
Raw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a pretty impressive 1st outing Tony.

Were you just scooping from the TI or did you have your legs dangling over the side, or were you standing alongside in knee deep water using the TI as a platform ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sitting comfortably in the skipper seat. I initially tried with an ama folded in, but found that having it out worked to channel the prawns into the gap. I enjoyed the relaxing "effort", sipping on a hot chocolate from the Thermos, and emptying the bottom of the net periodically when the contents increased drag in the tidal stream. I think I will go prawning every time it is "prawn dark" (well that is what the locals call it anyway :D )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do you know when the shrimp are running?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it is a combination of folklore and BS! They call the period "prawn dark". I gather it is a combination of outwards tide, no moon and very light wind (to maximise visibility of lights in the water to see their eyes and get the net ready). Another part of the folklore is that it is only during months ending in "r". (bet that doesn't work in the northern hemisphere) LOL

I have no idea really, but noted I was not out there on my own. A few months ago I was sailing at night and found some people prawning from a tinnie in the same spot, and they told me they had "only" caught five kilograms of prawns! That is a very nice haul (but there were three in the boat, so 1 or 2 by myself would be just fine).

The lake is quite big, at 74 sq kms, and the tide takes up to three hours to run after the official end at the entrance to the ocean, and current through the mouth can reach nine knots...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the post Tony. You have inspired me to consider shrimping in the Tampa area. I've been researching it some and found a pretty interesting gadget to help get the shrimp off the sea grasses. It's called the ozella shrimper http://www.ozelloshrimper.com. I'll also see if I can scoop them with a net as they float by in the tidal flow. I remember seeing them a few years ago when I was out at night.

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to take the AI out at night into some of our remote areas of St. Joseph sound.

Here's a couple videos I found for anyone interested in trying shrimping or heading out with me some night to try it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lChiK0JWlwA&list=PL5D7146B09AF81770[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nyzvN4An9g[/youtube]