Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

anyone sail off of St. Augustine Beach, FL? cool beach, they let everyone drive their vehicles right on the beach and from where you park it is only 50 yards to the water, straight shot over the sand. Just curious if they allow you to pull a trailer with hobie onto the beach. I'm guessing a set of beach wheels would be a must here. The state park website says "no launching of motorized boats from beach" so i'm guessing you could launch a sailboat? any info on location/regulations/conditions would be great!

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im not sure, I just moved beachside in St. Augustine for college and am hunting for a Hobie 16 to purchase to sail beachside here.

I know you can put in down near the GTMNERR then you would have to work your way back down.

Let me know if you found anything. Ill keep you posted as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

iowadivers wrote:
anyone sail off of St. Augustine Beach, FL? cool beach, they let everyone drive their vehicles right on the beach and from where you park it is only 50 yards to the water, straight shot over the sand. Just curious if they allow you to pull a trailer with hobie onto the beach. I'm guessing a set of beach wheels would be a must here. The state park website says "no launching of motorized boats from beach" so i'm guessing you could launch a sailboat? any info on location/regulations/conditions would be great!

Matt

That is Vilano Beach. It is one of the only remaining Hobie friendly beaches on the east coast of Florida.

It would be a great place for the Mid-Winters except there is no local fleet to do the organizing!

I don't think you can leave a boat or trailer overnight. The beach patrol is very friendly and there is a fresh water shower by the pavillion near the entrance.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Where on St. Augustine Beach was the Midwinters East back in 1983 or 4? It was in Front of a Holiday Inn that had a Friday afternoon special of $.10 shrimp and oysters. We set up next to Bob Curry and some dudes from Tennessee. The Tennessee boys they said that they quit drinking beer on the boat. Instead, they'd take hit from a bottle of Jack Daniel's and get real aggressive on the starting line.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mugrace72 wrote:
iowadivers wrote:

Matt

That is Vilano Beach. It is one of the only remaining Hobie friendly beaches on the east coast of Florida.

It would be a great place for the Mid-Winters except there is no local fleet to do the organizing!

I don't think you can leave a boat or trailer overnight. The beach patrol is very friendly and there is a fresh water shower by the pavillion near the entrance.

Hi there! Any change in the Vilano Beach Hobie friendly rules at this time? Btw, Delray Beach, FL is still Hobie friendly and Kiting too.
Best, Dangerous Donna