Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to me '87 H17
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, my first post here. I've owned a H16 and H18 inn the past and presently restoring (again) a 28' CSK (Rudy Choy) catamaran. And 'Thank you' in advance.
I just purchased a heavily used H17 that will become a restore project over time, but usable as is. I'd like to get a little time in before winter sets in here on Long Island, NY.
Right now, the first projects are:
Repair cracked wing cup (starboard forward cup)
Repair port wing aluminum (one of the previous owners couldn't remove the wing and cut the aluminum about 2 inches above the deck. I'll have a local welder put it back together.)
Replace all lines
Purchase new wing covers

This winter and going forward (and here's where I am still on the fence):
Paint or gel coat entire hulls?? The hulls have cracked gel coat in areas where the boat rubbed up against a dock. Also, under the bow of the starboard hull there's an area that has been ground flat to the glass. Any ideas on building up the glass and gel coating/painting?
Repair bad scratch in deck of port hull
Repaint EPO rudders
And several other minor things I'm sure I'll find in the next few days. This is a great boat that my sailing 15 year old daughter and I will really enjoy!

Frank

Post subject: Re: New to me '87 H17
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

fhrussell wrote:
Repair port wing aluminum (one of the previous owners couldn't remove the wing and cut the aluminum about 2 inches above the deck. I'll have a local welder put it back together.

Bad idea - welding will remove the temper from the aluminum at a critical area. Better to sleeve / rivet the tube peices together.

fhrussell wrote:
Replace all lines

Don't forget to include ALL the standing rigging, including the shroud / bridle anchor pins. Worn lines are an inconvenience. The mast falling down will ruin your day.

fhrussell wrote:
Paint or gel coat entire hulls?? The hulls have cracked gel coat in areas where the boat rubbed up against a dock. Also, under the bow of the starboard hull there's an area that has been ground flat to the glass. Any ideas on building up the glass and gel coating/painting?

It's much easier to repair old gel coat than trying to remove it/re-do it or even paint it. Unless the boat is colored (blue or yellow), I wouldn't consider doing a full gel coat job or even painting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Don't forget to include ALL the standing rigging, including the shroud / bridle anchor pins. Worn lines are an inconvenience. The mast falling down will ruin your day.

That's the truth. I bought a used 17 that had been thrashed. Seller said he had recently replaced the standing rigging, and it looked ok to me. (I had a new 17 previously). About the 3rd time out, a side stay parted and the mast fell forward away from my son and I. More scary than anything, because no one was sitting there. Did some repairable damage. I replaced the standing rigging and sold the damn thing, I never could stop the hull leaks (which the seller never mentioned).

I've got a Getaway now, and recently had a scare. The shackle pin for the the forestay worked loose. It caught on the jib grommet by a couple of teeth before I noticed it. If it had gone, it would have falled backwards towards where the 4 of us were sitting.
I replace the shackle with one I could safety wire, and now check everything before we go out! All the little ring-dings behind the rubber covers on the side stays, the wired shackle on the mast tank, the rivets on the mast tang...

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fhrussell wrote:

It's much easier to repair old gel coat than trying to remove it/re-do it or even paint it. Unless the boat is colored (blue or yellow), I wouldn't consider doing a full gel coat job or even painting.[/quote]

Thanks Mbounds. The hulls are yellow. Maybe just spot repair and match the color as best I can? I remember a brand of gelcoat repair that included coloring. I know it's not going to be perfect, but better than a small patch of white...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Faded, yellow gel coat can be very hard to match, but it's still preferable to re-gel-ing the entire boat (very labor intensive).

If you want the boat a single, consistent color, your only option is to paint, but that's also somewhat labor intensive (surface prep is critical to a quality finished product). Additionally, the paint will fill the non-skid pattern to some extent and will chip and wear, revealing the underlying gel coat color.

Both techniques generally require dust protection (meaning done under cover) and wearing significant protective gear (an organic vapor / particulate mask or forced fresh air hood).

Smaller areas can be done outside on a calm day (you still want the mask).

For $5, you can rent the Instint color fan from Fiberglast - http://www.fibreglast.com/product/insti ... lorgelcoat and get something that's reasonably close. Take an unblemished area of the hull (inside, under the tramp) and compound / polish it to get the remove the oxidation and get the "real color". Match that color.