Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, as well as Hobies, but I just recently purchased a used Hobie 16 and had a question for the group:

I am currently sailing my Hobie 16 at Lake Mead in Nevada, off a cement ramp boat launch with a pier. I will be often be sailing solo, which will require that I launch the boat and tie it to the pier while I go park my car and trailer. It seems rather precarious to trust in the wind keeping my tethered 16 from rocking against the leeward side of the pier. The solution would seem to be placing a fender along the side of the windward hull and running bow and stern (and maybe spring?) lines for times I need to leave the boat alone.

Thus far, I have found only a little information regarding fending/docking catamarans. I was considering one of West Marine's "Big B" fenders and running a line through it from the front and back windward trampoline bases -- tensing the line to suspend it under the tramp while sailing and relaxing it to rest on the side of the hull when at the pier.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Launching off a concrete ramp is kind of difficult with beach cats. You sure there isn't any grass or sand near the ramp that you could pull the boat up onto?

I once launched at a concrete ramp that wasn't busy. I brought some carpet with me and rigged the boat while it was sitting on the carpet at the bottom of the ramp. Then I just slid it off the carpet into the water, threw the carpet off to the side, and sailed away. Retrieval was a little more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to beach cat sailing. As Zach said, there is not much you can do. If you trust those around you to not steal your fenders, you can do as you said, but toss it/them on shore when you leave. There is not much room to stow them when underway.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinking out the box here....
Maybe you could employ a couple of dry bags of sufficient size and robustness to act as short term fenders. They trap air when folding / closing them so could act like a cushion between the Hobie and Ramp and when not in use for this purpose either be folded away or used for storing stuff on the boat while under sail.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highlander-Tri-Laminate-Dry-Bag-16-29-44-Litre-waterproof-Canoe-Kayak-Kit-Bag-/330692675896?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Canoeing_Kayaking_ET&var=&hash=item4cfed1c938

..... and they are pretty cheap, probably even cheaper in the State's then here in the England.

-SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's not just cats that have that problem with docks. I recently sailed to the marina wher I bought my Honda motor to buy oil for the ten hour maint. I hung around for a while with the TI docked at the marina, then I went home not thinking anything of it. A few days later I looked at the AMA and it is scratched almost beyond recognition from the barnicles on the dock. Oops, I imagine something like that would do a nasty on an h16 just as bad. I have no desire to hang those bumpers they use on powerboats over the side of my boat. TI's and cats are so low they might not help anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for all the replies! Turns out there is an area of small rocks to the side of the pier. Not ideal, as I'm sure this would reap havoc on the underside of the hulls over time, but may be an alternative. Boulder beach isn't to far away, so I might look into potentially launching from there...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good ole Lake Mead, sailed there countless times tho it was 30 years ago. Back then the lake level was up to max level give and take. Amazing how low it is now. Same problems tho. Rocks!

FWIW I most always launched at Hemingway I think it's called. 1st road on the right once in park coming out of Boulder City direction. It was covered with chunkies as well for most part. Find yourself 2 old tires, light as possible helps. Stand mast while boats on trailer. Put the tires about half submerged, maybe a bit more in water at shore. Back trailer in water beside tire location, pull off boat into the water, swing her around and pull or back her hulls onto the properly positioned tires. Play with it and you'll find the right positioning. Raise your sails, check your rigging and push off. It works very well. You do get some black scuffing on keels but no rock damage. Many of us did it.

Dangerous lake when the extremely gusty and shifty winds kick in. Don't get caught out there alone! Always watch your boat on shore just in case the wind kicks in from opposite direction. A few times saw a cat take off out on lake all by itself just a flyin! It was hell to catch with another boat too.

Hope this cures your issues. Sail a reach around Boulder Islands for me just for old time sake!

1976 H16 27640
1985 H16 89112

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there any shallow water nearby?
I have anchored the boat and rigged the sails in 3' of water not the best way but it worked
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Found a few solutions...

At the very end of Boulder Beach, there is more sand -- only OK if your car has very good shocks though, because the road (if you can call it that) to that end of the beach is bumpy!

The best beach launches are by the marinas, but it's my understanding that technically you're not supposed to launch there. Still, if you look closely, you'll see tire tracks...

Took my sister for her first time sailing around the islands - what a blast! Perfect sailing day until we capsized on our way in. Oh well...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like to tie up at a public dock to go have a beer break in the middle of my sailing day, so I have a similar problem. I keep a couple of lines in one of my cubbies on my Getaway, and I have 2 flat foam fenders I bought from West Marine that I tie down the middle of the tramp while we sail. I try to find a slip so the wind pushes the boat away from the dock, but the fenders are just in case. So far it seems to work.

Too many canoes and kayaks