Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, I've rented a Revolution, Sport, and Outback...And also a tandem rev ? Either way, I'm sold on kayak fishing, and especially the mirage drive.

Originally my wife wanted a Revolution ( 1st one she rented ), but now she really liked the Sport ( So did I... ). I really liked the Outback, much better than the REvolution.

But I've seen, handled and walked around a Pro Angler. It seems interesting, but I have doubts about it...It is very large ? I plan on getting turbo fins no matter what, but my thought on seeing the 14 pro angler was " Hey, might as well have a real boat like I used to have... "
I did like the elevated seat in the pro angler, but I've NEVER ACTUALLY HAD ONE ON THE WATER. I cannot find one to rent. I don't want to drop $3 grand and find out its tooo bbig and too much hassle. Most of the time I'll be launching by myself, and I do want to launch from some pretty rough dirt/rock slopes. Won't an Outback be easier to launch ?
I don't care about a livewell at all, almost all my fishing is catch and release. I wish hunting could be catch/release.

Can you guys help me make this decision ? It looks like if I buy the Outback, and later on find I want to pro-angler, I can sell the Outback pretty easy to upgrade. ARRRGH ! help !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA 12 and love it. Now I'm buying an Outback for my son to go with me, and to use on rivers, and for a change of pace. So, I say buy both a PA and an Outback to cover it all. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own both a PA and an outback, both 2011s.

Look at how you intend to fish, places, how can you launch, transport.

Both can be transported easily in a pickup, now on top a vehicle there is no way I would muscle a PA on top, a outback no problem.

Moving them from vehicle to water, PA you really want to be as close as possible. The outback no problem walking with it down the road and on a beach far from vehicle.

PA a lot more space to spread out, carry the whole tackle box.
Outback limited space, you learn to become more direct with equipment you bring

Whichever you purchase don't waste money on garbage hard tire carts, spend the money one time and get the latest carts with ballon tires. Worth the money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been there, done that. If your primary purpose for buying a kayak is fishing, the PA is the way to go. It is the most functional boat out there for that purpose and you will appreciate the comfort and height adjustment of the seat. I own a PA 12 and I can handle loading and unloading it by myself without a problem. I've found that any of the Hobie 12 foot boats are nearly the same to load/unload and the weight difference is negligible. As far as a second boat, I also purchased a Hobie Outtfitter for my two boys to join me on the water. It's basically a longer Outback for 2. Now I have a boat for fishing and a family boat for fishing or just cruising.

I agree with you, the Mirage drive is the way to go. Unless you are looking for a 50 foot less stable float you have to paddle, you won't be disappointed with any of the Hobie's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planning on a trailer setup for both, although sometimes I'll only be taking one. I hear you on the balloon tires for the dolly, only one of the rental places around here has them, but they are night and day superior to the tiny hard tires.

How easy is it to muscle the Pro Angler 14" down to the water with the dolly, it sure look larger and heavier than the outback.

Is it really a huge difference when you are sitting elevated above the water on the Pro Angler ? To me, that was one of the things that really stood out...I do not plan to be standing up much when fishing, but I do have a fly pole.

I used to use the fly rod from the deck of my bass boat, worked perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Outback is definitely easier to load, unload and roll up and down slopes to the water. But you won't have the elevated seat, if that sort of thing is important to you.

You have to give something to get something. If you think you can get used to real kayak fishing, the Outback will make a great craft for you. If you would rather stay closer to a real "boat" then the PA is going to suit you better. You just have to accept the fact that having a larger boat, higher seating, more storage, etc., etc., comes at a price, both in dollars and weight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess that is the key, I'm having a hard time imagining / thinking / visualizing how the elevated seat is worth the extra weight and going so far in the direction of full size boat.
Perhaps the best bet is get an Outback, and later on if I really am still yearning for the Pro Angler, sell the Outback.

Is there any other model I should consider ? Or that I've missed / forgot to demo ? I'm kinda assuming everyone agrees the turbo fins are best ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pr, the outback is a good solid alternative to the PA. It's stable, you can rotate in the seat and reach the back fine, while your legs are over the side. Paddles better then the PA, and quicker on the paddle for surf launch use.

Like you said, you could always sell it and loose a couple hundred only. Look for a used one a year or two old, unless you really want the newest options they have with the latest model year. Right now the last years models may be discounted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a PA 14 and love it. But it's a boat ramp launch ONLY machine. No way I'd get that beast back up a steep rocky beach. Even getting it back up some paved ramps is a near heart attack adventure. I have no difficulty getting it atop my Durango, though. If I used a trailer it would be no problem, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I'm almost 50, and starting to wonder if I can wrestle a Pro Angler 12 up a rocky/sandy/gravel beach even with the nice puffy dolly wheels. At the shop they had it on a stand, so I can't get a good feel for how heavy it is on a Dolly.

I am going to have a trailer no matter what.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wish hunting could be catch/release.

Take a camera.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I LOVE my outback. But there are folks who prefer the revo. Slightly lighter, slightly faster. Just a little less room on deck. The PA is a sweet boat...but its just that..a boat. I'm 47, hate to admit a pack a day smoker, and full time desk jockey. Even the outback is heavy after a long hard day.

I also understand the PA can add some additional "pucker factor" on surf launches and landings so not as flexible in that regard. I have two Outbacks. My next kayak will likely be more leaning towards the Revo or adventure vs the PA's. I fish solo and only half of the areas I fish have a boat ramp close by. I also surf launch about 75% of the time I fish.

I've been "run over" by my outback in some big surf launches and landings. I might be dead if it was a PA and not my outback. lol. Never under estimate the force of water!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

prginocx wrote:
Well, I'm almost 50, and starting to wonder if I can wrestle a Pro Angler 12 up a rocky/sandy/gravel beach even with the nice puffy dolly wheels. At the shop they had it on a stand, so I can't get a good feel for how heavy it is on a Dolly.

I am going to have a trailer no matter what.

Pr, I'm also 50. If you do a search under my name of my posts you can find a post I did of a modified cart for the PA. My problem is moving the PA it's the placement of the scuppers/cart location and the weight to the front handle that you have to support plus move forward with. The cart I made centered the weight and balanced it. I lift very little weight now compared to before. This also makes it very easy to pull. One of the beaches I fish from is a inclined slope and a good 150 yds long, worse on a low tide.The standard scupper cart got old fast. The large folding cart worked fine, it was a pain to get the kayak on. You have to set it next to the kayak, lift one end and swing it over, strap it in place and off you go.

I'd ask the store to put a cart under that PA and walk with it outside for a few minutes. If nothing else put that cart in and lift that bow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. I am in love with my PA 14 and wouldn't change it for the world. Its super stable, I don't get wet like my buddies in their revos and outbacks, and this thing is just the ultimate fishing machine. It is true that the PA is a little on the heavy side when it comes to kayaking but in my personal opinion the weight of it gets exaggerated allot. When a PA is not rigged it weighs 100lbs and the revos and outbacks are around 50-60lbs. Now my buddies who own revos and outbacks all just pick their yaks over their heads and put them on top of their cars with no problem. Now this isn't something that I can do with my PA but its not hard at all to get it on top of my car. All I have to do is put the front on the racks first then go to the back of the boat and slide it on the roof. And as far as getting the yak to the water I don't have any problems with that either. With the balloon tires it makes things allot easier especially going over sand. Of course its allot easier to launch a smaller yak but the goods of a PA outweigh the bad. If you looking for a pure fishing machine I would recommend that you get yourself a PA. You'll love it and you will not regret it...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I've said on here many times. It all depends on where your going to fish to what Hobie your going to use/get. First off, the ultimate fishing kayak for any conditions is the AI/TI, hands down. You can feel safe going out 15 miles or more Ocean front. You have more choices for powering. You can scale down your kayak for smaller water by leaving the amas/akas/sail off the kayak for an Adventure mode. This kayak setup is by far the safest, fastest, versatile, fishing machine by Hobie.
Now for limited conditions you can consider other Hobies such as the PA, Outback, Revolution 13 or 11.
For fresh water lakes/rivers and short outfront Ocean only, the PA. For mix of fresh water and/or medium distances out front Ocean/heavy surf, the Revolution 13. For inland bodies of water with difficult launches to get to, Revolution 11.
Notice I never suggest the Outback, it's sufficient for all but long distances out front Ocean, but not the best in any situation. Sorry Outback advocates, that's why the Outback is the number 1 traded in Hobie for another model. 8)
Any way you choose, your Hobie will hold much of it's value. Why, I don't know, because I would never buy a Hobie used with no warranty without at least half off or more the going new price, to risky if a crack develops in an unfixable location. I always suggest to buy new.