Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It all boils down to respecting others while on the water and paying attention. As a lifelong fisherman even in a bass boat, I've seen many an occaision where another boat or a jet ski could angle away from you (when there's plenty of water) while you're anchored or slowly moving. But no...they want to steer buy you and blow by to show off. It would be tough up some of the narrow creeks to do that. I guess your only options are to use the various visibilty options we have as kayakers (bright hats, flags, vests, lights, etc.).

I supppose a good anology would be to consider a kayaker like a motorcycle. As a motorcyclist, your biggest concern is making sure other drivers see you. That's why a head light on even in daytime is a good safety pratice and mandated by most states. A lot more safety concious motorcyclists are wearing lightweight safety colored vests to help with visibility.

The kayaker situation is similar in that respect. I'm hopeful that as our sport and kayaking in general contiues to grow that most boaters will realize that they are sharing the waterways with a lot more small watercraft.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
It's sad that motor boaters often simply chose to ignore craft like kayaks and canoes. Last week I had a ski-boat continuously run right up on my AI while laughing about the swells they were forcing on me. Frankly, I had some fun with the water splash (it was hot) but did mention it to the marina operator when I go in. He suggested that my boat may be hard to see and that I might want to put a flag on it somewhere. I mentioned that I thought a 16 foot tall sail should provide enough visibility to be seen in current daylight hours.

I had this problem one day until I shot a flair at the bass boat that was trying to swamp me. When that flair bounced off his foredeck he took off never to be seen again. If that didn't work I was going to put a 9mm in his motor. He would steer towards me then at the last minute turn to one side or another.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:mrgreen:

No comment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My PA-14 is Dune, I wanted the yellow but the color was not in stock anywhere regionally when I purchased. Dune was my second choice and I am actually happy I went with it. The neutral color is just fine and I don't think I'll tire of it over time. As for the light/flag pole for visibility, I added a base and telescopic light pole - just like the big boats have - with a simple toggle switch to turn it on and off. The pole removes easily for transport and the flag provides good visibility during the day, with the added light for early morning or evening use. Flag isn't in the picture, I had the light pole intalled before the flag arrived.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like your idea. I do not like the idea of putting holes in my new PA12 but I can possibly make a bracket to attach that on the rear handle for the light pole like yours.
I like the dune color the best. I will probably change from the yellow to the dune color when mine comes in since the dealer is ordering some of both colors. I think I will get the color I like and do things to make it more visible like you have done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lunker, I have been thinking about a bracket for the rear handle to mount a flag also. Pls let me know if you come up with something, I will do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Golden Papaya so powerboats can see you

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish in the ocean in an area known for it's Great White shark population. I chose a "yum yum yellow" PA14.

Dune looks too much like the underside of a dead humpback whale calf floating on the surface. Olive looks too much like a dead seal floating on the surface. Whales and seals are both present in this area, which is why the sharks are also present in the area.

However, sharks are not the most likely thing to kill me on the water: it's idiots in powerboats that really worry me, hence the yellow PA14.

Most powerboat drivers (who see me) are respectful. Casting sinkers seems to work for the others.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It really depends on your purpose .......... if you will use it for hunting ...... the green is the best ....... if you are fishing in places where you have to be noticed then yellow ..... it also keeps other fishermen away bcause you look like a banana ...........
The 1 in between would be the dune ......... it is more visable than the green but can still be camo'd enough to be used for hunting

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I started this post I had ordered my yak but had not jet taken delivery. I decided to take the dune colored PA12 because that is the color I like the best. It is easy to clean that color and it stays cool to the touch in the hot sun. I have owned the yak a year now. I do several things to be seen.

I added a strobe light to the back end of the yak by the lid where you adjust the steering cables. It has a suction cup and that area is smooth but I added bungee cords to it to keep it from coming loose.

I have the Hobie Cat fishing rod holder extensions that you stick in the rod holder holes behind the seat. In one of them I wedge a piece of PVC pipe then immediately reduce it to a 1/2 size. I then glue into that hole a piece of PVC pipe, long enough that it stands about 5' over the deck of the yak, and attached an 18 by 18" blaze orange thick waterproof flag (eBay) with screw eyes and zip ties to the grommets in the flag. The flag is the kind you see truckers use to mark oversized loads as they drive down the road. I do not have to make any holes in the yak and can pull my PVC setup out of the rod extender so it can be used for the original purpose if I want to. This setup angles the flag pole slightly off port side so it interferes less with my casting and helps to keep the flag unfurled.

I always wear a shirt that is a bright color and not a color found in nature, like lime green.

I have a CO2 air horn next to me where I can get to it easily.

I fish in areas of tall weeds in marshy areas and this man be one of the most important things to do. When I see that there is a boat headed in my area that I am concerned about I stop fishing and sometimes turn the yak sideways to them so they can see me better and most of all I can watch them. That way I am prepared to take action if it is needed. I also wave at them and if they wave back I know they are aware of my presence.

In the area I fish often there are many eco tours utilizing large air boats. I had a Captain approach me at the boat launch once and thank me for using my orange flag. He said he can see that flag well and wished others small vessels also did so to reduce the possibility of accidents.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lunker1 wrote:
I have the Hobie Cat fishing rod holder extensions that you stick in the rod holder holes behind the seat. In one of them I wedge a piece of PVC pipe then immediately reduce it to a 1/2 size. I then glue into that hole a piece of PVC pipe, long enough that it stands about 5' over the deck of the yak, and attached an 18 by 18" blaze orange thick waterproof flag (eBay) with screw eyes and zip ties to the grommets in the flag. The flag is the kind you see truckers use to mark oversized loads as they drive down the road. I do not have to make any holes in the yak and can pull my PVC setup out of the rod extender so it can be used for the original purpose if I want to. This setup angles the flag pole slightly off port side so it interferes less with my casting and helps to keep the flag unfurled.

Lunker1,

I also have the Hobie Rod Extension tubes and like your tall flag idea. Thanks for sharing! As many folks have stated in this thread, the color entirely depends on personal preferences as well as the way the PA is used (hunting or fishing) and the environment it will be used in.

When I went to purchase my 2012 PA14, I really wanted the Papaya color, but the dealer only had the Dune and Olive colors. I did get a Papaya Revo 11 for the wife. When I purchased the 2013 PA14, I again thought about the Papaya, but went with the Dune color. The Dune color shows the least amount of scuffs or scratches due to the color. Just my observation.

For where I live (south Georgia), the Dune color is cooler to the touch in the hot summers we have. In the primary lake I fish, I go barefoot and have found even the black pads where your go can even get hot to the touch after long hours on the water. That's one reason I am considering the Seadek material discusse din another thread. I do not have to worry about large powerboats on this lake as the max HP is 25. It's mostly a 225 acre trolling motor/kayaking lake.

When I fish the inter coastal waters, I make sure to wear bright shirts and have a flag for visibility. Honestly, I have seen PAs in all three colors that folks have rigged up that look great! There are great points in this thread. It's just not an easy question to answer.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass