Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sailing in Northern Baja
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a 1981 orange 18SE and live down in Rosarito Baja CA and was wondering if anyone knows where is a good place to launch and sail and what time of year is good here vs. the sea of Cortez and is San felipe in sea of Cortez a good destination. Help! Help! Help! i am excited to sail but do not have a clue as to where. the boat is currently on the beach in la Mision which is right by la fonda but seems like there is not much wind there - always have a marine layer around those mountains.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

South of Ensenada. Estero Beach or Campo La Jolla. Both great spots. Gotta pay to launch at both I think.

Anywhere right along the coast will be iffy depending on surf conditions. La Fonda seems to be in a protected area, by high mountains all around would limit the onshore wind.

San Felipe? Great sailing. We used to have a regatta at the end of February / early March there and it was great. Fall is good too, but not as windy.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ello Matt,

I broke the Rudder casting top tongue part last night coming in on the beach at la fonda without kicking up the rudders. it is a 1981. where can i find this part. it seems that it still locks down but it does not hold up as the tongue is missing now that it broke off. my email is [email protected]
any help would be appreciated. i called hobie and they do not have it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Going to head down to Estero Beach RV park next weekend with the family and the Hobie 16 for some fun, will report back on conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

zevbsurfn wrote:
ello Matt,

I broke the Rudder casting top tongue part last night coming in on the beach at la fonda without kicking up the rudders. it is a 1981. where can i find this part. it seems that it still locks down but it does not hold up as the tongue is missing now that it broke off. my email is [email protected]
any help would be appreciated. i called hobie and they do not have it

When you talk about the "tongue part," are you referring to the cam/latch at the top of the lower casting, that latches to the upper casting? or are you talking about the piece on the upper casting that is latched onto? There are two different styles of rudder castings, an older "pre-1987" casting and a newer style. The older style used a metal latch/cam to latch onto a metal roll pin on the upper casting, and the castings and parts for them are no longer in production, but replacement castings can be found somewhat readily on ebay. The newer castings use plastic cams to latch onto a cam plate that is bolted to the upper casting. The newer style castings were more adjustable and allowed for the replacement of parts, whereas the old ones did not, so that's what Hobie made standard across their boats. Parts for the newer style can be purchsed from any Hobie dealer.

see page 59 of the parts & accessories catalog for more information:
https://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets ... 1489847883

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238