Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishing kayak
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA 12 and love it. I used to have a 14' Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14 and hardly ever fished out of it because to paddle, steer, and cast at the same time was a PIA. The Mirage Drive and rudder system is a game changer. So, I am considering gettting a Mirage Drive for my son who is 6'-3'', 190 lbs so we can go together. I am considering another PA, but also an Outback, or another Hobie model, to save some cash since he will not use it as much as i do because he is still working. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated. We exclusively will use it in lakes and bays, no ocean.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Fishing kayak
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would go with the Outback as it is a great fishing platform. PLUS... this gives you a second option when your son is working and you are wanting to sneak off and fish without him :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Outback is a nice kayak...my son uses mine and enjoys it.

Since your son is tall, I'd have him demo one to make sure he'll be comfortable in it. I am 6' and used one extensively before I got my PA...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you have a heavier kayak in the PA 12. Would be nice to have a lighter option for more difficult launch locations and speed, like the Revolution 11, for yourself when your son is not around. Question is, would that kayak be sufficient for your son? I would say yes, but need to try it out against the Outback.
The Revolution 11 is the kayak I'll be getting for fresh water lakes here in Minnesota. Easy and light to transport for those difficult launch locations. Otherwise I would stick to a normal boat and motor or a PA. Of course the out front Ocean is a whole different animal and as you can see I prefer different Hobies for that task.
Another option I considered was a tandem (Oasis) for my father and I. Would be a nice option also to consider for a second/third kayak. Guess you have to consider your launch locations, their access, transportation and frequency of use as one or two fishermen.
But now you would have a heavier kayak again with bigger storage space needed. Choices, choices, nice to have.

For some Hobie comparisons, check out Josh Holmes reviews, I think he nails it here.
http://modernkayakfishing.com/articles/ ... yers-guide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would go with the Outback if you are on a budget and want a Mirage drive boat that is stable. It will save you about $1k or you may be able to find a deal on a used PA. IMO, the Revolution is not as stable and less deck space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not so much on a budget but decided on an Outback to give me some flexibility where I fish. I think a PA and Outback is good combo for the kind of fishing I want to do.