Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone have two sets of cradles mounted side by side on a trailer ?

What is the total width the boats occupy ? how big is the crossbar they are mounted on ?

Interested in dimensions for AI/AI, AI/TI, and TI/TI so please post what ever you may know

THANKS !!

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2 TI's are 8 foot (96 inch), 4 foot each. The 2 AI's are a bit narrower (~6 inch each) at about 7 foot (~84 inch)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinking about getting a double/double trailer, but curious how it would work if you just put one TI on the trailer, are the bars adjustable or is the weight negligible?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think the weight of one TI on only one side would be a problem. The center of the TI's weight is inside of the wheels and the trailer weighs more than a TI does.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This brings up a question I have about trailering an AI. I have a single kayak Trailex. Will that not work for an AI with the akas & amas attached?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terry wrote:
This brings up a question I have about trailering an AI. I have a single kayak Trailex. Will that not work for an AI with the akas & amas attached?
Why would you think it would not? Do you have about 42" in width? If not then new crossbars should do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KayakingBob wrote:
Terry wrote:
Why would you think it would not? Do you have about 42" in width? If not then new crossbars should do it.

I'll measure it tomorrow. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can you not trailer the AI with the Akas & Amas in place with wide enough crossbars? ie - What about "supporting" the akas/amas with kayak straps? Or is this another of my dumb blonde questions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terry, I believe the answers you have been getting actually refer to two AIs side-by-side in fully assembled form, so you can simply slide them off the cradles, fold out the akas, and raise the mast etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Terry, I believe the answers you have been getting actually refer to two AIs side-by-side in fully assembled form, so you can simply slide them off the cradles, fold out the akas, and raise the mast etc.

Well, duh, Terry.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Old topic here, but I have been working on my tandem AI trailer & thought Id share a bit. (formerly stacked above each other, now side by side)

My cross bars are ~78" wide and could be trimmed about 6" narrower if needed. I utilize the 2.5" PVC bunk method. With that said, the outer AMAS will add an additional ~8" outside of that on each side if you do not remove them...

Two AIs fully assembled without unstrapping the rear AKA bars from the AMAS are ever bit of 90"+ wide as I am not able to fit through my garage doors....

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can see a picture of our 2 AIs (side by side) on my Trailex AI double trailer: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=450 scroll down on that page.

Unfortunately, I can't give the total width (widest point) at this time. The setup is certainly wider than my 4-runner, and I pay attention to not hang too close to the center line on a 2-lane highway. I love the trailer, though. Easy on, easy off. You can set up most things on the trailer, even the masts. When set up, back down to the water to launch.

Keith

PS Some of the posts on this thread are by our deceased friend, Terry. She passed away earlier this year.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got an idea looking at the picture in the link above. For long-distance hauling of 2 AIs or TIs or a mix, side by side, you could remove the 2 outer amas. In my case, I would simply strap them in the center, between the 2 boats. That would significantly reduce the width of the set up. I've been thinking about this since I'm planning to haul our AIs as much as 7000 mi this summer.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the center above the boats would work, even all 4 ama. I sometimes put 3 Island hulls across my double-double trailer and have made a PVC jig to Velcro across the front ama x-bars of two of them that securely holds 6 ama by their front aka hole and then strap the whole thing down. If interested I can get a picture of the jig.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

of course we would be interested in seeing a picture of your ama hauling rig, bob