Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got my new Hobie 14 turbo pigtail from the Hobie dealer and it's short! Pin to pin without the swivel is about 10.5" I will have to measure my old one but it's roughly 15" pin to pin. They both have identical swivels which are 2" pin to pin and stamped Ronstan.

I've actually added a 7 hole adjuster to the top of my old pigtail to get even more rake. I posted about it here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49156
I'm not block to block. So this is a setback. I don't think using a 10 hole adjuster instead of the 7 hole will make up for the loss. And I don't want to start adding multiple adjusters up there.

I should have known. This is chronicled in this post and I even replied in it!
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=34382&hilit=pigtail

So I think I have to return it and have a custom one made. Or can I order a custom one from Hobie?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went to West Marine and made one. I made it 12 1/2" including swivel which gave me virtually no rake. It worked well enough but were I to make another one I think I would do around 12-13" without the swivel to get a little more rake. I think if you made it 15" or longer, including swivel, your shroud wires will be too loose on the lowest adjuster.

Making a pigtail was no easy assignment. Steel cable that short is stiff and really difficult to work with. Make the first thimble prior to cutting the wire from the spool. Use their bench mounted crimp tool to hold the swage and thread the wire through it rather than trying to assemble it and move it onto the crimper. Also, make sure you double swage it. You'll probably have to do it once or twice to get it right but it's only two or three bucks in parts if you gaffe it up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Admin

10 1/2 seems to be the correct length according to that thread. Hobie Cat does not make custom length wires.

Part of the instructions talk about using the original adjuster at the top of the system for rake adjustment. You can also add the adjuster plate used on the Getaway now. It is a 10 hole adjuster that is crushed flat (multi hole part and inserted into the furler) leaving a single hole fork at the top for the jib tack. This would give length adjustment at the furler.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm happy with my old parts, except they are old. My old pigtail thimble is cracked and the wires have some rust. The swivel is loose, much looser than the new one. I was hoping for a direct replacement.

When I first rigged the boat, I did not have a 7 hole adjuster at the top of the pigtail; instead the pigtail was directly fastened to the same shackle as the shrouds. I had the jib in the top hole on the furler and the shrouds were at the 2nd to bottom hole of the shroud chain plate. The rig was tight and the rake was fair. My shrouds are new and stock length so that confirms for me that the old 15" pigtail is the desired length.

Now I have the 7 hole adjuster at the top of the pigtail shackled to the mast tang shackle and I can rake much more. I'm very happy with that setup except the shrouds are now getting loose, pretty close to Bob Curry's 120 degree twist measurement in the side shrouds. What a difference though, it sails great. Coming from a 16, I know I need to get this thing raked as extreme as possible, block to block, while keeping the jib tack low on the furler.

Thanks mmiller for clearing up whether I can order a custom pigtail. Taking my old one into West Marine is a good idea. The local one here even has a rigging center where they make custom rigs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To follow up on this, I returned the Hobie pigtail and contacted Murray's. Their stock pigtail is 15 1/4" so I ordered it. They use coated wire in either black or white. They also said they could custom make one of any length. Matching it to my original it is nearly identical, just coated.

One other curious thing about the Hobie pigtail, the Ronstan swivel was upside down relative to my original pigtail or the Murray's one I just received. On the original and Murray's, the swivel part is on the bottom and the fixed part up. The Hobie one was reversed with the swivel up. Probably a minor point but it seems like if the swivel is pointed up, it is more prone to dirt entering.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why not just put an adjustor plate on the furler side? Its built to take one right through the center (which is why its hollow in the middle). That will get you more rake and an adjustable rig tension as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't put the adjuster at the furler because I wanted the jib tack to be as low as possible. Instead, I put the adjuster at the head of the jib. This was a big deal on 16s because we were trying not to "cut off the slot" between the main and jib; maybe it's not such a big deal on the 14. Either way, the boat sails great with tons of rake and a low jib.

It looks like I'm going to need shrouds about 3" shorter than stock to keep this much rake. And the boom is getting low like the 16 making ducking under it during a tack hazardous. I still have more room to rake, I'm not block to block and the mast is still rotating fine.