Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

Looking to move up to Pro Angler 14. Just wanted to ask owners what they like about it and why you purchased one.

thanks
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stable kayak with Mirage Drive. Fishing primarily. However, it is a fun sailboat too. The Hobie brand was a big factor for me. They just make great stuff.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wanted a boat strictly for fishing - but don't have a place at my house for a trailered boat. I researched quite a few kayaks, but that search ended when I found the Pro Angler. I had to drive 150 miles to buy mine ( a demo) because that was the nearest dealer. That was about four months before they came out with the 12-foot version but I'd have bought the 14' anyway.

Love it. No drawbacks except for the weight, which makes it something of a booger to pull up a steep boat ramp. Afloat, it's a dream.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i had been fishing out of an outback for about three years and really enjoyed the stability of the ride. Then I saw an add on this site for a PA 14 for $1,150. I thought maybe the wider ride and the longer length would make it easier to stand up and sight cast at the coast. Well the price was great anyway. I found out that my knees were the problem about standing up and not the yakak. Anyway I really enjoy the PA 14 for fishing. One major draw back is the weight of the yak and getting it to the water. I trailer it so I do not have to lift it to the car roof.

GET IT, you won't regret is one bit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wanted a big, stable platform for fishing - and the PA 14 delivered. Being able to stand and confidently fish is a big advantage in a kayak...

The Hobie scupper carts are great for moving it around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fished out of a full sized bass boat for decades. A lot of work when you are by yourself for launch and recovery. Was not fishing as much as I wanted. A friend recommended that I look at Hobie products. The Mirage drive sold me on Hobie versus all the other brands. Was looking at getting an Outback initially, but everywhere I researched, the articles consistently referred to the Pro Angler as the "Cadillac" at the top of the list.

Initially purchased the 2012 PA14. When I went to get the new style PA, I considered the PA12, but for $100 more, getting the extra space and 6 rod holders (versus 4) far outweighed the slight increase in weight. It was a "no brainer" for me as I was already used to the weight of the 2012 PA14.

Depending on your physical capabilities and your transport method, the Pro Angler can be viewed as a challenge for some folks. But as stated previously...it's a dream on the water. No regrets on getting the PA14 regardless of year. You will not be dis-appointed. :D :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the money I could get a crappy power boat that would continue to cost money or get the most top of the line kayak. I Love my Hobie!! Around my area (North Texas) a lot of the lakes are closing the boat ramps due to low water conditions. Not a problem to cart my PA14 to the water...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a ride 135 but quickly realized it was a good boat but it was not what I really wanted. The pa14 delivered a superior fishing platform that is second to none. Hobie has everything thought out and I can't say enough about the boat. I love it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pure rec user, no fishing on my boat! I'd have liked a runabout but can't really afford maintenance and gas. Never thought about a kayak, they seemed too small and claustrophobic to me until a coworker mentioned sit on tops and there we go, like someone mentioned above, I'm happy with a top of the line kayak than a second (third, fourth) hand boat, it gets me out on the water where I tootle around, explore and go swimming. And get exercise.

I'm big so I like how stable it feels, I'm on a small lake with big boats (with big wakes) and I like how safe I feel on it. Bet of all, it's of a size I can get back on it when I go swimming (or should I ever fall off it) which beats out a canoe.

Between the 12 and 14, the size of the front hatch sold me.

And I'll go there, the attention is fun :-). Not too many of them in my parts, I've only seen two kayak fishermen, one on a PA. Just last week someone followed me - jumped in his car and followed me to my launch site - to check it out. He knew about Hobies, knew about the Mirage drive, was not shocked it could be sailed but by the amount he was checking it out at the back where my two PVC pipes stick out, I believe I snookered another into thinking it was jet powered :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your comments and Feedback
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am on my 6th sit on top kayak after buying and fishing in different brands to include Ocean Kayak Trident series. The Hobie PA is bar far the best. The construction and attention to detail will just blow your mind when compared to any other high end kayak. The fact that you an use your hands vs worrying about staying in position while casting and paddling at the same time is just a no-brainer. I can't believe it took me so long to get where I am; a 100% satisfied Hobie costumer. You will not regret it my friend!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Y-Y brought up an interesting point: attention. I'm reasonably sure mine was the first PA in the state of Utah (and I've only had it two summers now!) I also have had people literally turn and follow me around to see what that thing is. On the lake, I've had at least one boat swear my PA must move by magic. When you ghost along in silence with no paddle, people simply stare.

There is now a second PA in Utah, but the owner is a couple hundred miles from me. I'd bet he gets the same kind of mystified attention.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mirage drive, stability and the capacity to handle all of my gear (I bring more than I need, but why not!) or to accommodate one of my kids in a kayak seat on the rear deck. The kids have a great time going out on the water with me!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bought two. Take them where my Boston Whaler won't go! I fish freshwater and inshore. Carry a shotgun in the swamps I fish here in along the Gulf Coast and there's plenty of room for that and other gear. Inshore I carry live bait in an Engel bait cooler. Great fishing platforms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To fish and hunt the days that I don't have time to take the bigger boat out or in water that the bigger rig with not handle.
I've fished from a larger boat all my life but have fell in love with the easy of handling and places I can go with the PA 14. Very comfortable to fish in for hours.