Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a used Adventure (2006) because I'm interested in adding the outriggers/sail. The guy I bought it from said that he originally had the whole setup with it but sold the sailing components because he didn't use them. I took the kayak to a local shop and they told me that only 2007 models and up can be converted. He tells me that there is no way the one I have was ever set up with the Adventure Island additions. The original seller still insists that he had it that way originally, with the larger 3meter sail.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is this Kayak able to accept the sail and outriggers or not.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Has to be 2007 or newer and would have obvious attachment fittings already molded into the hull for crossbar attachments.

What he probably had was the standard size kayak sail and our SideKick Ama kit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well, thanks very much. I wanted to ask a forum who that knew about such things before I returned it to him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same boat. 2006 Adventure. I bought the smaller sail, I sailed it a few times. Like on the 5th time, in winter in SC I capsized. If it werent for a friend with me, I might have had problems. As it was, it wasn't pleasant. I then ordered the inflatable amas. Excellent idea. For 180.00 installed, I got piece of mind. I know use them even if not using the sail. Keeps the boat so stable you can stand on it.
The sails for the other boat are twice as big and twice as fast. But you don't need to sail fast.

To convert, it will be difficult. Our boat is missing some internal fasteners and strengthners but it costs half as much. Only you can decide if it's worth it.