Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a H18 prior to the '08 Texas 200 sailboat cruise that Duckworks magazine puts together and sailed it in that event. Not as fun staying soaked for 5+ hours as I thought it might be.
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/11044365@N00/2591146951/img]
The following year I built a pair of Gary Dierking designed hulls for an outrigger canoe and morphed these oversized hulls with the 18 into a Frankenhobie for the '09 event.
I wound up cracking a front beam in the tramp track and buying a new to me beam from Surf City Cats, but it had the old style post which rebuffed my attempts to get a new mast bearing on it. The boat has sat since then, more's the pity. It's a bit much for the lakes up in Three Lakes, WI where I'm sailing the wave. It's a bit of a hassle to sail it in Sanibel where I visit my in-laws as they are on the north end of the island with the only decent ramp being on the south side. I alwo really liked the frankenhobie for it's buoyancy in a cruising situation. And really, my uses are sailing with family including small kids or camp cruising.

I'm thinking the boat doesn't really suit my needs now and am thinking of parting it out since I need to get a new style striker or a used front crossbeam to sell it as a usable cat. What are your thoughts? I suppose it's worth more in parts.

Dan

Last edited by dstgean on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No thoughts?

Another question to pose to the crowd. What high volume boat would be a good solo or tandem camp cruiser? I'm thinking 18 square or similar, but would prefer dart style hulls or centerboards like the H21SC.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're probably better off parting your boat if you want to... not sure about the problem you're having with the new crossbar, you can upgrade the old style or just use the old style and sail it!

The 18 isn't too bad to solo, especially with the furling jib if the wind gets heavy. You could try one of the other cat makers that have the higher volume asymetrical hulls if you're trying to simplify the sailing experience and not worry about daggers.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The crossbar problem was started by trying to replace the mast bearing. the screw was frozin by galvanic action and broke off twice before trying to drill it out, also unsuccessfully. After buying the beam that now needs a new post, I subsequently shelved the boat since I had two kids in less than 3 years. I sail the Wave on the smaller lakes in WI, and have kept the 18 in the garage for several years. Now I'm thinking of clearing out the garage and doing something more family friendly. The idea of fixing it and taking it to live in Sanibel is somewhat appealing, but I'd like to get something more like the Gcat 5.7 or the Hobie Getaway. Alternately, the Hobie TI is looking interesting if slow by comparison.

So, tear the crossbar apart, put a new post in there, and assemble the boat? Or sell off the parts not necessary to making my frankenhobie cruiser...I guess that's the question. I'm unable to sell it assembled and still do the Frankenhobie though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like a pretty easy fix once you have the post... the old broken crossbar's post? Throw some wings on it and make it mega frakenhobie family friendly!

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That would have been a perfect solution, but I used it on my frankenhobie main beam. I just havn't used the boat and it's time to part with either the 18 parts not used in the Frankenhobie or sell the hullls for the Frankenhobie.