Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crooked Rudder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just thought I'd post a final response to this issue to update those who are interested in what I found and what I did.

I removed the gudgeon and examined the threaded brass inserts. Both appeared to be in excellent condition. No cracking or distortion of the hull and everything looked to be OK. . . with the exception of the threads in the top brass insert which were filled with, what appeared to be flakes of hull material. A small wire to loosen it up and some puffs of air cleaned it out nicely and the screw then went in and out much easier than before.

I then inserted the gudgeon screws into the brass inserts and it was apparent that the top brass insert was not aligned properly with the bottom insert. The top brass insert seemed to be good in every other way. I decided to give it a tap with a small hammer to see if it would straighten out. . . well, Ok,. . . it was a little more than a "tap", but less than a "rap". I was certain not to hit it too hard. Lo and behold, it seemed to move into alignment with the bottom screw. Maybe about an 80% improvement. I then re-installed the rudder and aligned it using the lower portion of the rudder as Matt suggested.

I've taken the Oasis out twice since my "adjustment" and everything seems to be working just fine. While on the second test run, I threw in a fishing line and brought home four speckled sea trout (the largest was 24") and one red drum. Now that's what I call a good fix.

Thanks again to all who contributed their expertise and knowledge in helping me resolve my problem. As time goes on and my experience broadens, perhaps I will be able to return the favor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you haven't already done so, put some Loctite on those screws or they may come loose at an in-opportune time. :)

Good work fixing the problem!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm having this same problem with a 2013 Oasis I just bought new. It was manufactured in December 2012. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but the bottom screw socket is shifted left of the centerline of the boat, causing the rudder to sit crooked. I didn't see any signs of damage, it just looks like it was built that way. I'm very reluctant to take a hammer to it as Tag did because it just seems like it's asking for trouble in the future (brass insert coming out?). I'm thinking of returning it to the dealer for a different boat, but I don't want to be too extreme, and I'm not sure whether a different one will be any better. It will take time, of course for the dealer to get one, and I'd really just like to take the family kayaking. Or, should I hammer away? (There should be 4 pictures below)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

familyguy, I found your post very interesting. I thought that the problem I had with the rudder alignment may be a one-off situation. My Oasis was shipped to me via a third party shipper and Matt figured that in the process they "bumped" the gudgeon and caused the miss-alignment. We'll never know that for sure.

When I was examining mine, I re-inserted the bolts after removing the gudgeon. With just the bolts sticking out of the brass inserts in the hull, it became even more obvious of the alignment problem, and that the problem was with the threaded brass inserts. My reasoning was that if Matt was right and the miss-alignment was caused by a bump to the gudgeon during shipping which, in turn, moved one of the brass inserts out of alignment, then a "reverse bump" with a hammer would not be very risky in my attempt to put the brass insert back into alignment. Maybe I was lucky, but it seemed to work moderately well.

I am curious as to how you discovered the crooked rudder. Did you just see that it was off or did you first notice a performance (turning) problem? I first noticed my problem when I had the Oasis on the water and could not turn as short to the left as I could to the right. Am also interested in whether you have yet resolved the problem. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

familyguy wrote:
I didn't see any signs of damage, it just looks like it was built that way.
I think you're right. My 2011 Oasis rudder mount is a couple of degrees off as well. It hasn't affected the handling at all (making sure your rudder is balanced and adjusted, on the other hand, can make a significant difference).
Quote:
I'd really just like to take the family kayaking. Or, should I hammer away?
I think you should take the family out and leave the hammer at home. 8)