Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That looks super.
The Seadek site offers only Storm Gray or Army Camo. Is the material you installed Storm Gray, it looks almost white.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been thinking of adding it to mine, but the jury is still out. I'm sure if I do it would run more than what Joe paid for the "kit". The rear cargo area is not covered by the kit and I would want something that added a little more than a solid color. I like the edged color examples I've seen and thought it would be great to have "Hobie" or "Pro Angler somewhere in the decking in an appropriate area.

I could picture the pattern below on my Dune PA14. It would probably look sharp.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The material I installed is Storm Gray and it is very light in color.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I contacted Hobie and the response was if it fits the PA12 it will fit the PA14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Joesak wrote:
......Seadek does not include two underseat pads only one so i left the black pads under the seat.

Did you check with Seadek to make sure that there was only to be one under-seat pad?
Seems odd that they wouldn't supply inserts for both sides.

BTW- PA12 looks good! Image
I'm really liking the idea of the Aqua Camo on a SpeedBump Yellow PA12....too bad it's not offered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I immediately checked with Seadek upon receipt of the pad kit.

I figured that they must have missed it in my shipment.

I came to find out that their kit only includes one pad for under the seat.

Yes...I know it is odd. They told me it would cost $25 for the other under serat pad and take 3 weeks.

I decided for now to just keep the Hobie underseat pads in place.

I an still a huge fan of the Seadek on the PA12.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Joe - what are the connectors you have on the GearTrac?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The connectors are the new gear head track adapters from Scotty. They tighten on the track by turning them clockwise and all rod holders, etc. from Scotty fit them.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/10139/Scotty-Gear-Head-Track-Adapter-438.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Joesak wrote:
The connectors are the new gear head track adapters from Scotty. They tighten on the track by turning them clockwise and all rod holders, etc. from Scotty fit them.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/10139/Scotty-Gear-Head-Track-Adapter-438.html

Perfect...thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All,

I ordered a template kit from SeaDek with enough materials to template both the 2012 and 2013 PA14s I have. This way SeaDek will have templates to make kits for both versions of the PA14. My initial plan is to order a custom kit for my 2013 PA14. I let my SeaDek contact know that they have a pretty big market that they are just beginning to touch and that if the product is as good as it appears to be...they will get the orders.

My initial thought is to use the Snow Camo Pattern with the Midnight Black edging in the picture I posted. Those logos in that picture are routed into the Snow Camo color to reveal the black layer on the bottom. The total thickness for the 2 tone will be 6mm or .23 inches. So the weight should be at a minimum. I'll probably have Pro Angler engraved on a few areas along with SeaDek.

I also mentioned the issue Joe had with only one pad for the area under the seat. I will also template the rear cargo area.

Will keep everyone posted as this project moves along.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I'll pass on the sea deck, but thanks for the pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I shipped the template kits back to SeaDek today and will be doing both the 2012 and 2013 PA14s. So SeaDek will have my template patterns if they want to market kits for the 2011-2012 and the 2013-2014 PA14s. I also explained to them what they needed to do for the 2009-2010 models that do not have the rudder handle column on the left side.

Not sure how long it will take to get the finished product back since it is custom work. Colors will be camel tan with black edges and logos. That would look nice on all three PA colors.

Stay tuned...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thats is perfect -- Hope they make it in a color that compliments the Olive PA14..
Only change I would make to the cover the under seat areas as well.....

When and How much???

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pete@JAX wrote:
Thats is perfect -- Hope they make it in a color that compliments the Olive PA14..
Only change I would make to the cover the under seat areas as well.....

When and How much???

I just shipped the template kits today. The floor area under the seat is covered for both models in my templates as well as the rear cargo area. As far as timing and cost, I will get a quote from SeaDek after they take my templates and compute the amount of 6mm 2-tone padding that will be required. For custom work there is a minimum amount that has to be ordered (10 square feet). An 8 foot by 4 foot piece would do one PA, so I figured I can get both of the PA14s I have done with a 10 by 10 section.

I really do not want to quote pricing as mine is custom work and they are giving me a break since I am helping them with templating all the PA14 variations. The cost of the logo work is more than the material costs, but I would hope a complete kit for a PA14 off my templates (with the rear cargo area and both floor pads under the seat covered ) would be still be very reasonable (not much more than the cost they currently offer for the PA12. Putting a SeaDek logo anywhere you want is free for custom work.

I'm hoping I have the SeaDek material in a couple of weeks. It could be quicker, but I will have to wait and see. I have color top-down renditions of what both PAs would look like and might upload them to the forum. I haven't decided whether make them public or hold off until the project is finished...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I would update this thread to help answer some questions on the SeaDek project. I now have a timeframe for roughly how long it will take. SeaDek has my template packages. It takes them about 5 business days to take my templates and put them in the CAD software that the machine uses to cut the SeaDek. Then it's about 10 business days on the production floor to do the work.

If I want to do a dry fit on what they put in the CAD software, they will print all the parts out on clear mylar and send those to me so I can validate the fit and make any corrections on the mylar and send it back to them. Since I'm sure they will use my patterns to market kits for all the PA14 hull configurations, I will probably go that route. So besides the roughly 3 week timeframe mention above, the time used to ship the mylar to me, validate the srawings they have in their system and send the mylar back will increase that time.

I decided to share the patterns I have sent it so folks will get an idea of what the project will look like. The black foot pads on the 2012 are removed as the deck surface is flat where they are installed. The same pads on the 2013 are left on and covered by the SeaDek. That is because they sit in a depression unlike the earlier models. I am also covering the stainless screw in the rear cargo floor area.

So here they are....

2012 PA14

2013 PA14

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next