Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a PA12. Starting to rig it out. Looking for a place to store my stick-it anchor pin (7 foot) when not in use. Don't want to take up a rod holder slot and really don't want to use a scupper hole. Any ideas? I have purchased a set of stick-it anchor pole clips......just trying to figure out how to use them without drilling a hole on the side of the PA. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just lay mine down in-between the seat and the side rail, with the bigger portion of it sticking out the back along the cargo area. I keep the rope clipped to the anchor trolley, so I'm not afraid of losing it if it falls out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That would work but I have rod butts in the same space.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rhhobie wrote:
Just bought a PA12. Starting to rig it out. Looking for a place to store my stick-it anchor pin (7 foot) when not in use. Don't want to take up a rod holder slot and really don't want to use a scupper hole. Any ideas? I have purchased a set of stick-it anchor pole clips......just trying to figure out how to use them without drilling a hole on the side of the PA. Thanks.

Since you don't want to drill any additional holes in the PA and not use your rod storage tubes, you could probably rest the stake out pole (SOP) on the inside of the side rail and it would lay across the mounting board and extend along side the rear cargo area. There have been some folks that use that method.

Since you have the clips to hold the SOP, is there room on the side where you would store it to put a clip on the mounting board on that side and use one of the Hobie Taco style paddle clips to lay the pole in as a holder. The Hobie clip screws in where the black tie down is by the built in rod holder. That might be something to consider.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Inside the cargo rail is a definite possibility. I fit tested that idea and it looks doable. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a BlackPak instead of a crate and have mounted the clips for the stakeout pole vertically on the Blackpack.

Works great unless you are in the trees or mangroves and it can get caught up from above.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did this on my first PA12 and plan to do the same on my new one once I find a little time-

I have a YakAttack 8' Park-n-Pole (I have owned the Stick-it Pin 5'5" & 8') that I carry on the right side of the boat. I used small sections of STS for padding/sound deadening (on base of side handle mounts & fore/aft gunnels) and it's kept in place by the keeper bungee that was meant to secure the fishing rods (2) that are stored inside the gunnels (I added a Bungee Button from HOOK1 as the attachment point).

The fit is nice and tight (when secured with bungee), but more importantly, nice & quiet when laying pushpole down while sightfishing the flats.

Keeper for stakeout pole, added Bungee Button on lower left corner of netting framework-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lt FireDog, the only problem with that configuration (which I think is great) is that where I fish, the lower half of the SOP is usually caked with mud! Makes a mess on the rear of the boat. You are luck you have hard packed sand.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought about trying that same storage option on my 2013 PA14. I have some of the STS padding as well and like the idea. I use an anchor more when I freshwater fish, but if I'm fishing in an inter-coastal creek, the SOP gets used a lot. Thanks for sharing!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Lt FireDog, the only problem with that configuration (which I think is great) is that where I fish, the lower half of the SOP is usually caked with mud! Makes a mess on the rear of the boat. You are luck you have hard packed sand.

No problem Jerry, do what I've had to do when I got home after every Jax Classic.....hit the boat with the pressure cleaner to remove the infamous Jax'ville baby sh*t mud stains. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

EVERY time I pick up my SOP I have to wash the mud off of it before I stow it back on the yak. Gets old quick.