Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rattle 'n hum wrote:
It should be high enough to easily uncleat sitting on tramp, but not so high that it's hard to cleat from the trapeze.

Matter of opinion and application there.
I set mine so it is more or less impossible to cleat from the trapeze. You have no feel when it's cleated, and you are not trimming if it is cleated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Karl Brogger wrote:
rattle 'n hum wrote:
It should be high enough to easily uncleat sitting on tramp, but not so high that it's hard to cleat from the trapeze.

Matter of opinion and application there.
I set mine so it is more or less impossible to cleat from the trapeze. You have no feel when it's cleated, and you are not trimming if it is cleated.

Yeah, but on a Hobie 16, you sheet in until block-to-block and pretty much leave it there. The crew works the traveler (advanced technique). This ain't no F-16. It's also really handy to be able to park to the mainsheet to free up a hand - like when the loose main sheet gets blasted off the trampoline.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the main is sheeted all the way in and cleated. how do you move the traveler? On my 16 if I have the main pulled in, and try and uncleat the traveler, I have to loosen the main to move it. Yes, it will move some, but with a lot of effort........ Plus, as the main moves away from center, it effectively pulls down on the rear of the boom correct...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't want the traveler to run that free.

If it moves under load like the Harken bearing ones (H20)... every time you try to sheet, the traveler pulls towards you. Really a PITA on a good reach.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will have to mess with the traveler next time out. I just know it does not move easily in or out while the main is sheeted block to block or even close to block to block.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You have to have the newer (post 1996) style traveler - with the big brass wheels. If you try that on an older traveler, you'll shred the pins. Don't ask me how I know this.

It's not like it runs free or anything - nor are you moving it very much - no more out than the hiking strap - and that would be a lot. Most of the movement is less than 6".

I've was on Jason Hess' (from Guatemala) hip right after a start at the 16 NACs in 2008 and watched his crew work the traveler constantly on every wave and puff - and he just motored away from me. I said to myself, "Damn, I wish I trusted my crew to do that!" Considering my crew at the time is now the Women's NA Champion, I probably should have.

What is this "reach" you speak of, amigo? :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

my boat is a 98 so I guess I do!!!!! I get what your saying, fine turning with just the traveler...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Went to lake yesterday mainly to get my Jib out of back of my truck and put in the sail box, No wind of course, I did look at my lower block and saw the slide for the ratchet!!!!!!!! I wished I had seen this sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Now if we can just get some wind!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I have been playing with the Harken 194 block while its been off the boat and found the following.
Looking at the side of the block in its normal working position with the ratchet slider facing you and the clam cleat to left facing down.
Pushing the slider up increases the ratchet locking torque while sliding it down decreases it to the point that the ratchet is disabled.
Also its worthy to note that the ratchet is not binary i.e. on or off but rather it is variable, dependent on the slider position which allows fine grained control of ratchet engagement.

SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

paragon1970 wrote:
the ratchet is not binary i.e. on or off but rather it is variable, dependent on the slider position which allows fine grained control of ratchet engagement. SRG

On a 194? If so, I've never knew that. Has always been on or off. I played with on on the shelf here and was not variable as far as I could tell.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
You have to have the newer (post 1996) style traveler - with the big brass wheels. If you try that on an older traveler, you'll shred the pins. Don't ask me how I know this.

It's not like it runs free or anything - nor are you moving it very much - no more out than the hiking strap - and that would be a lot. Most of the movement is less than 6".

I've was on Jason Hess' (from Guatemala) hip right after a start at the 16 NACs in 2008 and watched his crew work the traveler constantly on every wave and puff - and he just motored away from me. I said to myself, "Damn, I wish I trusted my crew to do that!" Considering my crew at the time is now the Women's NA Champion, I probably should have.

What is this "reach" you speak of, amigo? :)

I remember the same thing with Hess having his crew work the traveller.Funny thing is Gavin Colby is not an advocate of that style.He prefers to just set it and leave it upwind.Recently was at a sailing Training for the Pan Ams and we brought in Pedro Colon and he is very much the same mindset as Colby.Sure seemed to work for Jason Hess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I remember the same thing with Hess having his crew work the traveller.Funny thing is Gavin Colby is not an advocate of that style.He prefers to just set it and leave it upwind.Recently was at a sailing Training for the Pan Ams and we brought in Pedro Colon and he is very much the same mindset as Colby.Sure seemed to work for Jason Hess.

Interesting. There will be a training session at Nedlands with Gavin Colby in the next few weeks so I might ask about that. My crew struggles with the weight of the main on the traveller in stronger breezes so I generally have to set and forget at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
my boat is a 98 so I guess I do!!!!! I get what your saying, fine turning with just the traveler...

Oops. It's an 88.