Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I've made my way through Optimist and now am sailing a Lasers and 420's. Last week a rented a hobie wave and REALLY like the cat, so I decided to get one for myself.
The question is: What hobie should I get?
I'm 16yo, 135lbs, and will be soloing 50% of the time. I've made a quick search and concluded that fiberglass will suit me better than the roto-molded ones. The 14T had my attention, but as far as I know, it doesn't like more than 1 sailor on it. The 16 really looks awesome, but I'm not sure if I can solo it. Whenever I sail with my friend , we have a combined weight of 255 (with me as skipper)
Thanks,
Rafael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sooo..... You're 16 yrs. old and 135 lbs. You won't be 16 yrs. old and 135 lbs. for very long. The H16 is fine for your weight and more tolerant for the additional weight of your crew. The fiberglass boats are faster and more exciting than the roto-molded boats. They're both fun, but I think you'll get more pleasure out of the H16. Also, more H16s out there=more selection. I just think you'll be more proud of your boat and get more use out of it knowing that you have one of the fastest boats wherever you sail.
The 14T is fun also, but I think for your age & your crew the H16 would be a better choice for you.
You can solo the H16. Just go out with a crew the first few times and then sail solo in wind conditions that you can safely handle. Make sure you wear a life jacket and have a righting system in case you capsize.
Let us know what you decide to do, where you plan on sailing, and please post pictures of your new boat when you get it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:48 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you wanted to start racing right now, you'd be a killer on the 14. The 14 can be a lot of fun, but it is limiting if you want to being another person along. But 255 isn't that bad on a 14.

You can always sell it and get a 16 later.

A problem you'll have right now is you (alone) don't weigh enough to right a 16 without assistance. Even at 255, you'd probably need a righting bucket or a pole. You'd have to carry 30 lbs on the trampoline to even race because you're under the 285 min. weight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will be sailing south florida, on the ocean, and majority of the time only for fun (might go to a few regattas). And yes, I couldn't find 14T's as much as I found the 16, there's a much bigger variety.
Btw, I have a budget of 1500-2500, is it good for a good boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With all the above being true, where you live might factor in your decision making if you are looking to do class racing. The Hobie 16 is still in production and people race them all over the country. I personally haven't seen a H14 in a regatta in my area in the last couple of years. I'm sure there are fleets around with a decent population of 14s but you might want to find out before you make the leap.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rafael - Often times when we read these posts, it's usually lacking in information and we have to make certain assumptions.
You didn't mention anything about racing, but if you should decide to race, you might have some difficulty in finding enough H14t's to race against - depending on where you live and sail. Your friend/crew sounds like he/she weighs 120 lbs. I assume it's your girlfriend. Nobody likes to carry weights on their trampoline. If you would like to race your H16 you could always race with your dad, your uncle, your girlfriend's dad, or her fat sister. Personally, I'd rather just go recreational sailing with a cute little 120 lb. girl. My cute wife is 119 lbs. and we've been married for 41 years. She bought our H16 for us on Father's Day 33 years ago. The boat never capsizes; I do! I screw up about once every 5 years??? My wife and I have no problem righting our boat. I need a righting bag when I capsize sailing solo. I carry both a righting line and a righting bag under our tramp. I weigh 156 lbs. My wife & I probably weigh a little more fully dressed and after eating breakfast.
You're only 16. You'll get heavier! I hope your girlfriend doesn't.
Good luck to you, young fella. Please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had sent a reply to this thread, but I think I did not press "submit" hahah.
Well I do have intentions to race, but my main goal with the hobie is just sail for fun.
When talking about the girl, you were spot on. When I sail with a crew, most of the time is with her, and sometimes with my dad (175lbs) or with my other sailing friend (155lbs).
I'll be sailing south florida, in Boca Raton, on the ocean. There aren't many lakes here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rafael - Thanks for sharing this information with us.
Hobie 16 - Definitely!
If you ever go off to college, re-locate to another town for a better job, or move into an apartment where parking spaces are limited, you should have no problem selling a Hobie 16 providing you take good care of it and price it right.
I hope you're doing well in your school work and plan on continuing your education after graduating from high school.
All the Best to you and your 120 lb. girlfriend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

im 15 and 130 and my crew is about the same and i sail a 16. and if i flip i can get it over just fine with a righting pole

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Richandpat,
Don't worry, I'll take care of the hobie haha
My sailboats were always in excellent condition, unfortunately I had to sell my laser and optimist when I moved from Brazil to Florida. I'll keep you guys updated and post pictures and videos as soon as I buy it!
Thank you for everything!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

you will not be 135 lbs for long
The best choice is a hobie 16
I have had both a 14 and a 16 actually 2 of each and the 16 is a no brainer
Former hobie admiral Gary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have both a 14T and a 16 and I too think that the 16 is a no brainer. The 14 is just to unstable imho and that detracts a lot from the fun. I also feel that the jib on the 14 almost detracts from it, at least for me. I am putting mine back to the standard rigging. My 14 came as a bonus when I purchased a trailer for my 16. BTW, what did you rent? If you liked it a lot then that is what you want. Why mess around?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sailed with the hobie wave during the rental, but I felt waaaay too slow compared to the hobie 16 that was sailing near me.