Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking to get into solo sailing

Should I get a hobie 16 or 14 as my first boat to sail solo?
I have pretty much never sailed before, except a 45ft cat I chartered for a week.
I weigh 210lb and will 99.99% of the time sail solo

Post subject: Re: First cat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At 210 you are at the upper limit for a 14 but not heavy enough to solo right a 16. Either way you are quite a step down from a 45 footer. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 6'5" 215lbs H16 all the way...

On the H16 if there is enough wind to knock me over, with a properly sealed mast and good technique I can right it solo.... The only trouble I have is if I am goofing off in really light air and capsize being silly..

Or sometimes in really puffy conditions I have to wait for a nice gust to lift it back up...

Solo righting poles are easy to make and allow a 160lb-er to right a H16 no problem..

at 210 lbs... the H14 just isn't enough boat... and will nearly prevent you from seriously sailing with any crew..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wont be sailing with a crew, pretty much solo sailing all the time
Here H16 goes for about 3 times the price of a H14. I found a good H14 turbo that is very tempting

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail mostly 16 and 18 foot boats with crew. I picked up a 14T to solo sail. I'm right at 200 lbs. The 14 is disappointingly slow and twitchy (pitchpoles easily just when things start getting exciting) at my weight. With crew the hulls are submarines. If I were you I'd get a 16 and add shroud extenders for solo righting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail, mostly nothing, well actually nothing at all. Basically have nobody that will ever be joining in as either crew or even passenger.

** Considering that I will always be sailing solo, meaning I will never have a crew or even a passenger

The comment about hulls sinking is irrelevant. So its slow, twitchy and pitchpoles, wouldnt that make it a good boat to learn on.

So you're saying a newbie with basic knowledge and low skill set who will not be taking any classes and will always be sailing solo during the week should get a H16 as his first boat to learn on?

I suppose I should add I get bored easily and If spend heaps on a H16 I might only use it a few times then never again. So I am still considering a cheaper smaller boat to start with and if I do get more into it I know bigger faster ones exist and my potential for loosing money is less as the the only thing I'll loose out is depreciation on a H14 not a H16

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At your size, I'd say Hobie 17 if you're looking for a faster, more performance oriented boat that will give you a challenge. Hobie Wave if you're looking for a good entry level, easy to sail, cat.

The H14 or H16 will "work" but are less than ideal. You're a bit big for the 14. Not that it will sink or anything, but it will be even more prone to pitchpoling than it normally is with someone your size. It will also want to roll over backwards when tacking in a breeze. The 16 will be a bit much for someone with very little sailing experience, mostly due to the added complication of the jib. It will increase setup time and also be more to deal with on the water. You could also run into problems righting the 16 solo when you capsize.

Honestly, you might want to consider a small dinghy like a Sunfish or Laser as a better first boat. They are very easy to learn on, pretty exciting in a breeze, and very forgiving of mistakes. Once you get the basics nailed down, move on to a cat if you're still interested.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well then, based on your last post go ahead and buy the 14 if you have found a good deal. I won't say I never had fun on my 14T but I got bored pretty quickly. Its a good boat to learn and play with and that sounds like what you are looking for. Plus it is easy to right and lighter (easier to push or pull) on shore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Found a good deal, I believe so. I had a look today, its in great condition with a lot of new gear, good hulls and about 2/3rd the price of the average H14. I had to travel a few hundred k to get it though, so doubt I'll loose much when I get bored and go bigger or give up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisb123 wrote:
Found a good deal, I believe so. I had a look today, its in great condition with a lot of new gear, good hulls and about 2/3rd the price of the average H14. I had to travel a few hundred k to get it though, so doubt I'll loose much when I get bored and go bigger or give up.

I'm anxious to hear how you do with it. I have a 16, it is my second one. I also have a 14T, my first experience on it was with two people and it was an unfortunate disaster with pitch poling over backwards. The 16 has much better stability which makes it much more enjoyable for sailing. I need to play with the 14T to get more familiar with its limitations but in truth I'm not impressed with the experience I've had. I apologize if I've insulted any 14 sailors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

will find out, im still waiting for a good day and free time to repair a scratch I found

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisb123 wrote:
will find out, im still waiting for a good day and free time to repair a scratch I found

Repair a scratch when you can't sail unless it will cause you to sink.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fixed that issue
went sailing and was a lot of fun, tipped the boat once and broke the hook used to hang off the boat and also broke the mast mount when dismantling it :(
also when it tipped i noticed the bottom of the hulls are worn down to the fibreglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a hobie 14 for sale if you are interested email me at ryanlikeslacrosse2gmail.com.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sorry wrong email it is [email protected]