Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

they dun look like punctures to me...
can any experience guys/gals out there able to tell me how these holes appear ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How did you fold your yak? Looks like it might be from the screws on the rudder system? But not sure do the picture and not knowing the distance between the holes. This is only a guess on my part.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fold them according to the manual.
The rudder will be on top o the bottom part of the kayak... So it's not the rudder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it possible to purchase the material from hobie?
Tot of reinforcing the hull

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:54 am 
Site Admin

The material may be damaged by UV if simply cracking. You can get some material from the factory. Ask your dealer to contact out warranty and technical department.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="ronnielim"]they dun look like punctures to me...
can any experience guys/gals out there able to tell me how these holes appear ?

Image[/quote
Knowing the back ground of this claim these are from Fish spikes. This as been reported by your Singapore dealer.

http://www.hobiecat.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The material may be damaged by UV if simply cracking. You can get some material from the factory. Ask your dealer to contact out warranty and technical department.

The material we can provide are small pieces about the same size as comes with the repair kit. We have advised you and the dealer that larger pieces can be provided. Your dealer is Hooked in Singapore.
I strongly suggest you work with what is on offer or as suggest purchase some closed cell foam or perhaps PVC sheets and look at attaching this with Velcro. We also suggest you change your method of landing fish using an i-series kayak. This was suggested to your dealer to pass onto you. If you have any questions by all means contact me direct. You have our details. Best regards
Steve Fields

Last edited by Steve Fields on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"....We also suggest you change your method of landing fish...."

Could someone explain what produced this 'fish spike', how, and what changes are recommended to the landing method? I fish out of my i-yak, and would like to prevent this sort of thing if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SteveLIBS wrote:
"....We also suggest you change your method of landing fish...."

Could someone explain what produced this 'fish spike', how, and what changes are recommended to the landing method? I fish out of my i-yak, and would like to prevent this sort of thing if possible.

In some cases the fish you land may have large fins and the spikes on those fins that could puncture the skin of the kayak. Case in point if you caught say small Marlin and you try to land the fish “green””, then the Marlin could charge the kayak and “spike” the tubes. This is common sense.

Landing fish is understanding that the fish (in some cases) can damage the kayak with its fins (spikes).

By landing the fish with duty and care correctly either by fish grips or landed net or method you can reduce the chance of damage by keeping the fish out of the boat or near the boat, again common sense here.

In most cases the Hobie I series kayaks hold up well with large fish with large spikes. I would say that 99.9% of the time you have zero issues.

Our suggestion to the customer (since we knew the area and fish they catch) was to use either used closed cell foam or thick PVC sheets to add extra protection the floor of the kayak or even the sides using the current method which causes damage.

Most of us have worked out that if you land the fish correctly and you take all duty and care when landing fish on the side of the kayak or pulled in the floor of the kayak, that you can minimise the risk.

The same with handling your hooks or trebles when fishing with an inflatable kayak. Common sense.

Also each kayak comes with a small repair lit to fix small punctures and it is easy to do. We also sell repair kits via the Hobie dealer network

Common sense guys.

Cheers Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i land my fish with a landing net and keep them in a keep net in the water
i never put my catch on my kayak

here are the holes located (red dots)
i cannot recall "handling" my catch near the ones at i-access and "mirage" logo

the below shows where is the keep net n how i use my common sense to land my catch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ronnielim wrote:
i land my fish with a landing net and keep them in a keep net in the water
i never put my catch on my kayak

here are the holes located (red dots)
i cannot recall "handling" my catch near the ones at i-access and "mirage" logo

the below shows where is the keep net n how i use my common sense to land my catch

please contact your local hobie dealer we have spoken to him.
Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am the Hobie dealer from Singapore who have inspected this customer's kayak.

He had posted up an extremely close-up photo of the pin holes. They do look like big cuts here but in reality they are just tiny holes. It will take a minimum of 2-3hrs of usage before the owner could notice a loss in pressure.

They were potentially caused by the sharp dorsal fins from fishes that are common in our region. The usual culprits or suspects are barramundi, grunters, snappers, catfishes, groupers and many more.

Unlike a needle, the fish spikes are not in perfect cylindrical shape and the fishes are likely to be struggling thus resulting in these odd and irregular shaped damages.

Here is a close up photo of a Grunter's dorsal fins.

I have fished from inflatable kayaks for many and have similar heartbreaking experience.

- Snapper slipped from a lousy grip and landed onto the floorboard, resulted in a hole #1.
- Removing the hook from a small fish and it fell ... hole #2.
- Hooked onto my first big barramundi from a kayak and I forgotten to bring my landing net. Lifted it straight up as I really wanted to have a photo with it .... resulted in holes #3 & #4.
- Hanging onto a catfishes by the side of the kayak while waiting for my buddy to paddle over for a photo ... resulted in #5 & #6! We had a day of pussy frenzy. Didn't realize that a tap was all it needed to create a hole. I was flabbergasted.

Since then, I have systematically followed a fish landing routine whenever I am fishing from an inflatable kayak.

Rule #1: Do not bring in the fish too early. Especially for a barramundi. There is a potential of it jumping straight onto the kayak!
Can you picture this? A 12 lbs fighting barramundi jumped onto the deck, with a big lure hanging on the outside of her mouth and there is another triple hook swinging wildly! OMG.

Rule #2: Always use a landing net. No matter how small the fish is. Respect it.

Rule #3: Always use a good fish grip to firmly hold onto the fish while removing the hook. Keep the net directly below the fish as a safety net. Never hold a fish with bare hands. They are slippery and accidents do happen.

Decide immediately to release it or it goes straight into a cooler box. Avoid using keep nets or fish clips to secure your dinner.

From the photos, we would have noticed the keep net. This will expose the sharp dorsal fins to the kayak and potentially cause the damages.

A keep net full of fishes will create unnecessary drag and affect the performance of your kayak. And when the weather change for the worst, we will want to rush back, it is instinctive to bring in the keep net while making a mad dash for shelter. That will increase the possibility of damage.

This photo shows the punctures were on the left side of the kayak, which is on the same side as the keep net.

Area A and B are likely to be the "loading" positions for the kayak angler to keep his fish in the net. Any "flip or flop" will likely to cause damage.

Area C: There is a possibility of pulling in a bag full of fishes from the back of the kayak. It is not difficult to imagine how it might have landed there, especially in choppy water condition.

Patching up pin-holes like these are easy. Just a droplet of Marine Goop over the area and let it dry for 24-48hrs, depending on climate and condition. Pump it up, check and we are ready to go for our next kayak fishing adventure.

What's interesting to note is that I have never experience any puncture from a fishing hook yet. We just need to be alert. My experience shows that as long as we do not "strike' or 'set" the hook, it will not punch through!

Last edited by Hoooked on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the excellent analysis. I've caught my inflatable several times like and idiot with a hook on a forward thrust while casting, and even then the boat was tough enough not to get punctured; and we're talking pretty sharp hooks too. These are not play boats, they are tough rugged delrin PVC - those musta been some big fish with very sharp fins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the clear crime scene investigation through the pics i send (as if you are beside fishing along with me) and landing fish techniques which i had been applying all these while.

Thanks you also for pointing out that I had this bad habit of dumping the keep net(full of sharp fins) onto my kayak ... guess i am too old to remember I always do that.

I would like to state here that my local dealer did inspect my kayak and told me the holes are cause by fish spikes. But I would like to seek a second opinion in here as due to my lack of experiences they do not look like punctures to me.
Since the seeking of more opinions became my lack of common sense in landing fishes I therefore close my case here.

I would also like to state here that I did contact my local dealer about the PVC. But since he cannot supply the size I requested for, it is common sense that I go ask around.

Sorry for wasting all your precious time.
Good bye