Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, new to the forum, but I have been reading for a while and the posts have been very helpful! I live on a small channel where I need to motor out for about a mile before sailing. I saw the cheetah mounts on here first and was able to find one used from Murrays.
I rigged up a trolling motor today for the first time to that cheetah mount and put the battery in a small cooler tied to the tramp. ImageImageImage

It worked great!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i like!
car battery or motorcycle battery?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks pretty cool. I would think the cooler would be in the way. I have a little "basket" type thing on my boat mounted to the front of the dolphin striker. Maybe you could get something like that so the cooler is out of the way. (But the Jib line tends to get caught on the "basket"... so maybe the cooler sitting on the tramp is just fine)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't mind the $$$$ Torqeedo makes some nice electric motors with integral batteries.

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at the torquedo motors. Great product! but after thinking about it, I realized the motor would be worth more than the boat! :) it's an 81 model hobie.... I had the old trolling motor, and a yellow top car/marine battery already so I thought I would try that first.

I looked for a long time for the trolling motor battery mount that hobie used to sell, but couldn't find one available. There were some old posts (pre-2005) but nothing new. I would still like to find something better for the battery, but haven't found anything available yet that is ready to mount.

Any ideas?

. I thought of trying a motor cycle battery too, the yellow top one i am using is probably close to 30 pounds, but I was unsure of how long a motorcycle one would power the motor