Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Color
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Im buying an Outback to complement my dune PA 12. I like the shade of blue, but wonder if I would get tired of it after sitting in it for 8 hours. Also thinking green and dune.
Anybody have a blue kayak that can give me an opinion?

Post subject: Re: Color
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dune/White is the fastest color. Green is stealthiest. Yellow attracts flying insects. No idea about Blue.

Fish are attracted to Red (seriously).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't do red. Will go with green to have a change. Thanks Tom.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All my river kayaks are green. But I have to say that if you are going to be on larger waters which you share with power boats, a brighter color does offer some additional measure of safety. Green disappears in short order.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Having just spent today fishing near Oregon Inlet NC the day before a bill fish tournament, I say the brighter the better. I was glad my boat is yellow every time a marlin boat went by me, which was about once every 5 minutes!

I think the darker colors, even the red, are safety risks & not suitable for use anywhere there is larger boat traffic. Green & blue seem downright dangerous, but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't agree any more about bright colors being safest. Fish in the highly congested waters of South Florida and that's not enough sometimes. 2 weeks ago 5 of us were going out just after sunrise an an open fisherman doing well over 50 mph went about 6 feet of the stern of one of the boats in our group. It was not an easy thing to watch happen and can't do anything to change the situation. His kayak was blue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My first PA was the Dune color one and when I was out fishing with buddies of mines they would easily loose sight of my yak and we wouldn't be too far away from each other. When a little chop was added I would disappear in the chop. All my fishing is done in the salt and I knew that this was dangerous. I remember when I was picking out my yak and looking at the bright yellow one and thinking how goofy that looked but I soon regretted not getting yellow. Needless to sy when I was fortunate enough to get another PA I got the yellow for safety reasons. You gotta watch out for boaters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish mainly in private lakes for bass without gas powered power boats, and for reds/trout in bays in shallow water. I have a bright GT flag and I feel quite safe in my PA dune and my newly purchased Outback olive. Thanks for the comments. And I do understand your concerns for safety in heavy boat traffic.
Go Jackets!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Always carry an air horn , a couple blasts of that will wake anyone up. Don't keep it in your crate either , you'll never access it in time when a boats barreling down on you.

Now go enjoy any color you want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure if it is the color of water I am usually on (Mosquito Lagoon and North Indian River Lagoon), but I have found that the blue stands out pretty well. There is a guy that is out there pretty regularly in a blue Hobie Odyssey, and I can always spot that kayak from quite a distance.
We have a papaya Adventure and Revo 13. I use the Revo and my wife tells me that she can lose me in the distance when I am wearing a light blue fishing shirt (which most of mine are).
With that said, I agree with the others and would say it would probably help to wear bright/reflective clothing and use a flag. I have a whistle but I would probably bring an air horn on the open ocean (or anywhere in So. Fla).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Unkleduke wrote:
My first PA was the Dune color one and when I was out fishing with buddies of mines they would easily loose sight of my yak and we wouldn't be too far away from each other. When a little chop was added I would disappear in the chop. All my fishing is done in the salt and I knew that this was dangerous. I remember when I was picking out my yak and looking at the bright yellow one and thinking how goofy that looked but I soon regretted not getting yellow. Needless to sy when I was fortunate enough to get another PA I got the yellow for safety reasons. You gotta watch out for boaters.

Ditto. My Revo 11 is the dune color. I wanted a dune Outback, but only colors left were yellow and red. Dealer is in his yak regularly and encouraged me to buy the yellow as he indicated it's easier for boats to see. Glad I did. I notice when my son-in-law uses my Revo, I lose site of him very quick. When he's in the Outback, I never lose sight, even when a bull red hauls him a half mile out into the bay.