Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When sailing yesterday my boat stated making a popping noise. It would happen when the hull started to lift. It would be followed by creaking, popping occasionally, creaking a lot. This has never happened before. When on shore I was able to isolate the creak to a front pylon. I'm assuming the popping is related.

The boat is an 83 and is in excellent condition. The original owner said it was only used for 3 years before he disassembled it stored for the next 25+, heated/AC storage. The sails and hull condition support this claim. This is my 3rd year of sailing it with no previous issues.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's normal. These boats aren't especially rigid. If you watched any of the America's Cup you heard the thirty million dollar cats creaking and groaning too. In older boats the styrofoam flotation comes loose and bangs around inside the hull too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

While I agree with Sunvista about the creaking, popping noises cause me to raise an eyebrow. I've heard a lot of creaking on a lot of boats, both new and old but I can't say I've ever heard anything that I would describe as popping.

Anybody else have similar thoughts?? :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

New boats creak badly - it's a function of the tighter casting / pylon fit on new boats.

But old boats - even ones that had light use - not so much. You can try eliminate it by gluing the boat together, but that's kind of drastic. Super-tight trampoline and aluminum shims between the pylons / castings will help, if that's the problem.

If you notice any depression around the pylon fairing on the deck, you have a broken or loose pylon shoe in the hull. Not a difficult repair, but requires cutting a port into the deck. My '84 had a front pylon shoe split and only one side was still bonded to the hull (it went with a loud "BANG"). A couple of weekends later, sailing in light air, you could hear the parts grinding together inside the hull.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm interested about the aluminium shims. I'm replacing the front beam on my mid-80's boat, and it is epoxied in at the moment. I'm not sure I need to epoxy it back in when I replace the front beam, but was just going to try and have a tight tramp. Can you give me some information about what the aluminium shims look like, how thick, and whether they'd be recommended for a recreational sailor (not onto racing)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

kiwihobie wrote:
I'm interested about the aluminium shims. I'm replacing the front beam on my mid-80's boat, and it is epoxied in at the moment. I'm not sure I need to epoxy it back in when I replace the front beam, but was just going to try and have a tight tramp. Can you give me some information about what the aluminium shims look like, how thick, and whether they'd be recommended for a recreational sailor (not onto racing)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I used an Old Style can.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't have much luck with soda cans. They are really paper thin, hard to work with and literally crumbled after one season from grinding pylons. I use aluminum flashing I got at Lowes. You can buy short squares made for flashing chimneys etc. Very cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine was done in 1984. When cans were cans.