Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have read the "tihs old Hobie" articles on fiberglass and blind hole repair as well as many of the posts on here. Can someone please confirm that the white part on the picture is the "foam" inside the hull and only the yellow relatively thin part is the actual fiberglass?
Seems the circled areas are damaged as well, so I would need to cut these area out as well?
Would it be better to make 1 large hole or keep the 1 area separate if possible to make the backing part easier?
Any way to repair the foam or any point in trying?

Thank you

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSXPdO8mC0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, so I have determined that the white part in the photos is foam, and that there is fiberglass on the inside and outside of the hull with foam in between.

Planning to put fiberglass backing on the inside as described in the blind hole repair.

After that, what would be the easiest way to fill in the gap where the foam was without buying a ton of chemicals.... can I just use cut up fiberglass / small strips to fill the space between inner and outer fiberglass shell? I guess this would make the area pretty stiff, but not sure if that will cause any problems.

Anyone done this before?

Any help is appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best would be to rebuild the sandwich by replacing with another piece of core material. I would use either PVC foam sheet or even a piece of balsa would work. Laminate in the inner skin. Then cut your core material to match the shape of the hole as closely as possible and bond it in place using thickened resin. Then laminate on the outer skin, fair it and gelcoat or paint it.

sm